New here, no rabbit.. yet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxknight48xx

Reaction score
Hey everyone Im Kyle

Ive never been a dog person or a cat person, but ive always wanted my own rabbit.A friend of mine recently got her first bunny and joined this forum. I have always thought about owning a rabbit, but never acted on it. My cousin has had several and ever since i saw the ones she owned, its been a thought in the back of my head. I dont know the first thing about how to take care of, what types of breed there are, the personalities they have or even what to buy for a rabbit.

Seeing as i just moved out and live semi-alone, it would be nice to have my first pet to myself. I will be surfing the forum to learn more about them while i let this introduction sit for a bit, i have lots of questions and im going to see if i can answer a few on my own =]

If anyone has any inputs or advice to help me out that would be awesome. Thanks again!

Read, Research, and talk to the people at rescue organizations. Don't make an impulse buy at a pet store as you never know what you get. May be fine or could be devastating. All ours are adopted rescues, so we knew the personalities, plus you may be able to avoid the trama and expense of neutering.

Thats what i was planning on doing. My friend adopted hers and she said it is really the way to go. And it would be nice to save one from the shelter.

I did the opposite. I adopted my first bunny and the next day began my research. After joining these forums I feel like a pro in the bunny world. You'll gain a ton of insight! Welcome!

Welcome Kyle!

Hope you learn what you can from the forum :)
Everyone is really friendly!

I researched for 2 years until I felt I was ready to own a bunny and to figure out which breed was the breed for me and even now I don't feel confident that I know enough about rabbit care but this forum really helps with everything :) except for vet bills :p

Welcome to RO! And welcome to the Bunny World. They are awesome companions to have.

There are many ways to get a bunny. Rescue, breeders, a REPUTABLE pet store, that does work with rescues.

Sounds like you want to go the rescue route. Many bunnies out there looking for forever home. My suggestion is go to a rescue in your area, and just see which bunny grabs the heart strings. They do that very well.

Or if after your research, you really like to enjoy a breed you found, research a reputable breeder. With a reputable breeder, you will get a healthy bunny and know exactly what is in that bunny's background. Not for breeding, but health reasons. Good teeth, hips, etc.

Today is my One Year Anniversary being with my bunnies. Had no clue what to do. They taught me well. Plus finding this forum, you will have lots of info, good people who will help, and also be able to tell stories about life with Bunny.

Enjoy the search. Once you find your companion, I hope you post pics!

Again, Welcome! The Bunny World is really a great place to be!

K:)

wow you guys are a great help! i really am going to get on this bunny thing and i will post pictures when i find my new friend =] ive been looking around for rescue places in my area but i guess now ill start looking at breeders to! is there any sort of breed i should avoid? im looking for a relaxed but playful type. what your experiences with different breeds everyone?

Mini Rexes, Holland Lops, Mini Lops These are bunny breeds that lots of people have had success and fun with.

Now if you want to play with hair, I love my Lion Heads. I have found the grooming, though some find tedious, to be a really good way to bond. Lion Heads are in the dwarf family, because of their Netherland background.

Also I'm absolutely in love with my Black Polish. Kreacher was fiesty as a baby, but at 1 year old, he has become such a sweet, funny character.

And if you want to go REALLY big, get a Flemmish Giant. I'm looking forward to my first experience with a big bunny.

If you plan on going to a breeder, always ask to see the Mom and Dad of the litter. If the breeder balks, walk away. A good breeder will spend time answering your questions, your e-mails or any concerns with that bunny.

Hope this Helps. Have fun in your search.

Ive been reading about the mini rexes and netherland dwarfs. they are so adorable! and from what you said Z they seem like they would be a good area for me to get started. =]

Welcome! I'm newer here too and this forum has been great. I had my first and only other rabbit 20'years ago and now I have Agnes a black lionhead. She has stole my heart :)

I think you are on the right path to bunny ownership. Do your research. My biggest piece of advice is that bunnies are not dumb "cage animals" that you just stick in a cage and never interact with. I think you get what you give with buns and the more time and patience you give, the more you'll get back. Agnes makes me laugh and warms my heart every day. I'm so happy she is in my life.

Welcome and can't wait to see your new friend when you find him/her!

thanks! i will post pictures as soon as i find one =]

i have another question. What about the smell? ive been talking to my roomate and hes not to keen on the idea because he thinks rabbits smell really bad. my friend Jess says they dont smell at all as long as you keep up with the cleaning. thoughts???

xxknight48xx wrote:

i have another question. What about the smell? ive been talking to my roomate and hes not to keen on the idea because he thinks rabbits smell really bad. my friend Jess says they dont smell at all as long as you keep up with the cleaning. thoughts???

I have 5 living in my living room. I do change litter boxes frequently (every other day) Cages completey wiped down, once a week, or if I have youngins 3 times a week. They tend to be messy. Also I have found if I put drops of Apple Cider Vinegar, which my bunnies love the taste, that also cuts down on the odor.

Hope this Helps!

xxknight48xx wrote:

Rabbits urine smells. No doubt. Rabbits themselves are clean animals and their body doesn't smell, but their pee does.

They also are "messy" in the sense that they dig, shred, rearrange, drag hay everywhere...but that part doesn't smell.

Now, with that being said....I am a beyond neat freak. My house is spotless. And you would never smell or be able to tell I have a rabbit. But, I'm on top of the cleaning big time. I clean her litterbox EVERYday...usually twice a day. Vinegar is a great cleaning agent and helps kill the ammonia smell.

Also, males will tend to spray urine more than females. But, fixing either sex is a good thing to look into to cut down on the smell and the chance of spraying.

So, if you plan on keeping bunny in a cage and expect to go several days without dumping or cleaning, I would say expect some odor. But if you stay on top of the cleaning, there is little to no smell.

agnesthelion wrote:
xxknight48xx wrote:

Rabbits urine smells. No doubt. Rabbits themselves are clean animals and their body doesn't smell, but their pee does.

They also are "messy" in the sense that they dig, shred, rearrange, drag hay everywhere...but that part doesn't smell.

Now, with that being said....I am a beyond neat freak. My house is spotless. And you would never smell or be able to tell I have a rabbit. But, I'm on top of the cleaning big time. I clean her litterbox EVERYday...usually twice a day. Vinegar is a great cleaning agent and helps kill the ammonia smell.

Also, males will tend to spray urine more than females. But, fixing either sex is a good thing to look into to cut down on the smell and the chance of spraying.

So, if you plan on keeping bunny in a cage and expect to go several days without dumping or cleaning, I would say expect some odor. But if you stay on top of the cleaning, there is little to no smell.

With the ACV, I can go a couple days without odor. Also the Eco bedding does wonders of absorbing. You wouldn't know I had 5 rabbits in my house either. And regarding males spraying, I've never had a male spray in their crate. Now hanging their butts over the ledge of their litter box. Got the idea, missed the boat. lol.

I use wood stove pellets for litter and love it. It kills the urine smell and only smells like wet saw dust come cleaning time. I clean my litter box every other day, and wipe my cage down every single day. My male is a lion head and recently came into manliness. He does spray but only in his crate. I had an english angora, but I had to rehome her. Her maintenance alone was a lot for me to handle due to her wool. I also have a holland lop and she is an extreme cuddler. I love having my rabbits. They are such great little pets.

When I got Rorschach, he smelled ridiculously terrible. If you read my blog, you'll get to learn all about that experience! hehe He smells just fine now.

Part of the difference is that I give him a proper diet. No clue what he was eating before he got here, but the woman did mention he would, "eat anything!" Somebody here suggested parsley and cilantro to help with his funk. I do more cilantro than parsley, but I believe it really has made a difference.

I also use horse bedding pellets now. It's basically the same thing as "wood stove pellets", but you can't find that stuff in Florida. If you go to a farm feed supply, you just ask for a bag of the bedding pellets. I use a little bit and change it daily. If things get hectic, I skip a day. The smell is fairly minimal.

I clean almost everything in my house with vinegar or baking soda (or both). They're cheap, effective, and environmentally friendly. I use vinegar to clean the cage and to wipe down the walls around it, and there's no smell in my house.

I have a standard rex and I absolutely love her. She is 7 and a half pounds and extremely sweet. If you want a rabbit with the softest fur you have ever felt, go with a rex :) as far as smell, its like everyone else said, if you stay on top of the cleaning, there is little to no smell. Rabbits themselves dont stink. They are extremely clean animals. the only time Olivia ever smelled was after she got spayed. But the vet said it was the hormones coming out of her. It lasted about 2 weeks and it was over. But it was nothing horrendous. Good luck to you on finding your bun :)

I have a young flemish giant who I absolutely love to death. He is mostly playful in the morning and the evening. He's not crazy about being picked up yet but I am slowlyworking on it. He does jump into my lap and likes to be petted. Also, a couple of times a day he will run circles around me. he is pretty easy going and does not startle easily. We have a large dog who would never purposely hurt an animal but we felt better with getting a bunny that would get large as well.

It does make buying bunny supplies harder as things such as huts and tunnels are too small for him.

Latest posts

Back