New here, first bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksupra94

Reaction score
Finally stepped into the bunny world after owning just reptiles, big difference.

Here is what happened...

This past Friday my girlfriend and I walked into a store called AniMall , it is basically a store where they display animals for adoption who have been pulled out of kill shelters and now live with foster parents during off hours. We walked in with NO intentions of buying any sort of animal as we both already have 5 between us ( not a lot probably compared to some of you. Leopard gecko, two robo hamsters, Gargoyle and crested gecko). As we were about to leave the store we walked over to a large cage where a little white bunny hopped up to the front to greet us and it was love at first site for my girlfriend. She asked the store owner if we could hold her and my GF would not let go so naturally she took it home with her the following night :) She will be spayed this week also. We tried to introduce her to another bunny at the adoption place but he attacked her :( so he had to stay there.

She was born in the shelter, adopted and returned within 2 months which makes her aprox 8 months old.
The rabbit seems to be a mini rex from what I have read, maybe you guys can help us decide . The previous owner gave her baths very frequently :shock: and walked her on a leash, so she is extremely sociable and loves human interaction. We are considering getting her a friend for when my gf is at work from 9-5.

Some things we noticed , she prefers drinking out of a bowl compared to her bottle, she enjoys pellets much more than anything else ( she is under weight), she also seems to like cooler weather ( comparing 75 to about 60) and enjoys her blanket.

Sorry for the long read , I guess if you are bored it is something to do and here are some pics

66314_1528608694995_1228020465_31333989_1075513_n.jpg

67311_1528608854999_1228020465_31333990_3714723_n.jpg

65964_1528609295010_1228020465_31333994_4486211_n.jpg

Oh she is adorable :heartbeat: And welcome to RO.

I'm glad to see another reptile lover here, I have 3 myself (a bearded dragon, a leopard gecko and a corn snake).

I can't help you much on breeds, I would guess mini rex or mini rex mix but I'll wait for the experts on that. Sounds like she's settling in nicely ;)

:)that is one cute little bunny! personally i would wait until she has recovered from her spay before trying to introduce a companion.

i have two rexes myself - their fur is very soft and velvety. their whiskers are also curly.a very intelligent breed that have gotten us wrapped around the dainty paws!

Ah ok her fur is velvety and she does have small curly whiskers . We will def. wait until she has recovered from surgery before she gets a buddy!

momto -it's funny having reptiles with no emotions then have a rabbit with such big emotions lol

Ohhhh my beardie has TONS of emotion, he is hilarious and so smart!! His personality is just amazing...the gecko on the other hand is like a bump on a log, haha

I know what you mean though, bunnies are just awesome! I was actually going to get another beardie and a ball python but then I got Snickers and all of a sudden I don't want anything but Snickers, he has stolen my heart!

Welcome the the bunny world and to this forum!

She is a very pretty bunny, does she have a name yet?

I hope she is settling in and you are having lots of fun with her :)

Well u sure have been paying attention to her ..yep cooler weather is best..they dont handle the heat very well..in fact all mine shutdown when its too warm for them..which isnt really that warm cuz they are housebuns..and i have a few buns who drink from crock and some that insist to have a waterbottle to drive me batty all nite...click click click ....click click click..
all my unfixed buns were very attached to a blankie....i used to hang one up in their cage just long enough for them to stand up and walk in circles and rub their face all over it.. super cute.
if ur pellets are alfalfa based then most buns will devour them..alot of people on here give their adult buns timothy based pellets...i do alfalfa but only 1/3 -1/4 of a cup a day...plus unlimited timothy hay and of course their 2 cups of veggies....

more pics and give that girl a sweet name...she looks like shes a sweetheart..

the last pic of her is funny...what the.??..is that YOUR potty box??...i want one that flushes too..:)..
Welcome to The Bunny World...finally you have arrived:):coolness:

!! so cute!! *takes and cuddles bunny* lol yes she looks like a mini rex. I've got a standard rex, and its weird, cause his whiskers don't exactly curl, they just kinda look and feel like damaged hair o_O btw don't get the fur wet, and if it does get wet, take a paper towel (cause it absorbs water the best fast) and gently hold it to the wet area as many times as needed till the paper towel(s) don't get wet anymore. when the fur gets wet, it's not so soft and velvety any more, it kinda curls and gets more of a stiff feeling. my friend was watching my boy for a night for me, and gave him a bowl of water (didn't see that there was a bottle attached to the side of the cage) and Dante tipped it and ended up flopping into it, and now i have to wait for him to molt and hope it fixes it's self. if not that's fine too, i have him as a pet, not for show lol

but yea, your bunny is so cute!! ^_^

Thanks for the welcomes all, she's a great bunny

Just to clear it up, I do not bathe her, just the previous owner did and I do not plan on doing it in any normal circumstance. She does like to use the water out of the drinking bowl and clean her mouth lol.

Question: Upon browsing a local kill shelters site I found a bunny that is a good candidate for the girl. He is a neutered 1 year old bunny but there is a problem. He was brought into the pound 27 days ago with his sister, the pound split them up :? for whatever reason , so I am worried he may be depressed. I would love to take him and his sister but that could result in me having to get a fourth bunny which really can't happen right now. do you all think he would be ok to leave her , should he be able to bond with my girl?

I have been feeding her oxbow hay which is what she continue to get and she's eating oxbow pellets which are timmothy based I believe?She does go nuts whenever we take the bag out to feed her, she will sometimes fight to get into the pellet bag and she runs around the room in joy. Unfortunately i'm away 4 days a week at my university so I havn't seen her since Monday but I can't wait to see her tomorrow :biggrin:

Here are some pics my gf took the other night, she is really settling in nicely and loving her cage being an entire bunny-proofed bedroom...
Gf bonding up close n personal

67207_1532468351484_1228020465_31340790_6781153_n.jpg

lady like
66652_1532460031276_1228020465_31340767_4864888_n.jpg

playing with the robo hamster
71955_1532455191155_1228020465_31340754_6075507_n.jpg

chillin by the laptop
74654_1531157038702_1228020465_31339021_2436776_n.jpg

Oh I just love the new pics of her :inlove:

I have my fingers crossed that the new bunny is a match.

Now correct me if I'm wrong BUT you shuld quarantine the new baby before introducing him to Ginger. Just in case ;)

Well we tried to introduce the rabbits in a neutrAl location, he seemed Very interested in her and
Slowly approached
d she was running around and he caught her eyes then she approached him and they smelled each other and toUChed noseS for about 10-20 seconds. Then ran around a couPle seconds and then shE mounted. Him and started nipping his neck pretty hard. She really seems to be the dominant one and he is very submissive , but he seems to like her a lot and doesn't mind her nips. Do you guys think this was a fail or success for the first day?
Sorry had to type on phone, may be some errors

i think youve had a better start then i ever did lol. each time i started a LOT of fur went flying and both were trying to be the dominant one, by the sounds of it it's going ok, just take your time with it and keep an eye on them :)

Back