New Here and to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A standard that I found SOMEWHERE said a ruby glow to the eyes but I cant find the standard anywhere now of course.

Im thinking more of a dutch mix as well. Whatever he is hes sweet and cuddly.

Thanks everyone!!! Sorry for the late response with school starting its been busy here!

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Please others correct me if I am wrong but I think it would be unhealthy to give a rabbit a diet of only veggies and fruit?

My advice is stick to the pellets and timothy hay. Pellets are made of hay so it is very natural and healthy for rabbits, don't worry about it being 'commercial' :)

Welcome and what a cute bunny.
I would stick with timothy hay and pellets. We give a baby carrot 1 or 2 times a week as a treat or apple peels or the cores even. Fresh parsley and mint are great treats also.

I wasnt going to feed just fruits and veggies of course he will have fresh local hay as well as the fruits and veggies.

The reason I stay away from commercial foods is this:

FRM Pro Rabbit Feed
Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Vitamin B-12 Supplement,D-Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement,1% Sodium Bentonite, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement,Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide and Calcium Iodate.

everything in bold is not in their natural diet. The vitamins are neither here nor there with me. There are also two main ingredients before Alfalfa and the alfalfa is MEAL not hay. Alfalfa meal is what is left over when they grind it up.

I don't have the ingredients in front of me but I feed mine Oxbow. It is a high quality food that is Timothy Hay based. Some ingredients may look iffy but I have no reason to believe it is harmful. I have had no issues with Oxbow and never heard anything negative about it.
Another good food is Mazuri.

Awwww he's adorable!! Looks like a chocolate Dutch! I love the name bugs or something to do with his personality!

Cute! Your kids look so excited :) My kids love our buns. I like too see what my kids come up with for names, like my 6yr old daughter named one of our pet mice "Splashes of Diamonds" lol
With Nova my hotot cross we decided too sleep on it. She ended up being named "Nova Cutie FooFoo" to make everyone happy! lol. Smokey was already named Smoke from the breeder so we added the y to make it more a name.

I noticed that Petsmart recently started selling Oxbow. I buy it at a local pet store though. Perhaps the website will have info on where it is sold?
If not Oxbow or Mazuri at least look at the ingredients and try to find one that is Timothy Hay based.

i agree, oxbow pellets are pretty good. i was told they were a little high in salt though, but it should be fine. i mix them with the rabbit food i have at the moment.

the nutirtion info on the packet is a good guideline of good pellets, so if you cant find oxbow, you could always get the nutrition info (they have a website) and find one that has a similar nutrition guide.

if you are interested, there is actually such thing as a pellet free diet and this is the best link i could find that has a great guide to it, and then you can decide what you want to do, and maybe introduce it to him when he is older. i was considering it, but i dont have the time atm...
http://www.bunspace.com/groups/topic?tid=3320&posts_tgp_no=last

i think when they are babies like your lil cocoa boy, they are meant to have unlimited alfalfa pellets because they are growing?? i have adult rabbits so i am not too sure...

hope this helps!

He has pellets available to him at all times but he doesnt eat them much, he always has hay available and that i fill CONSTANTLY.

Thanks for the link!!! I will probably wait until he is older to cut out pellets 100% and until I'm comfortable switching him completely.

I will look into Oxbow as well we dont have many pet stores here but if I have to I can order it.

He has pellets available to him at all times but he doesnt eat them much, he always has hay available and that i fill CONSTANTLY.

Thanks for the link!!! I will probably wait until he is older to cut out pellets 100% and until I'm comfortable switching him completely.

I will look into Oxbow as well we dont have many pet stores here but if I have to I can order it.

i am far from expert but he looks to be at least part dutch and possible mix with something else of which i have no clue. As for names,sometimes its easier if you pick a theme like cany for instance... skittles,snicker,taffy etc. or characteristic, like he's part brown...cocoa, hershey,anyway you get the idea :)

Welcome to the forum! Please let me know when you are ready to get your boy neutered. We have a low cost program through vets in both Gainesville and Port Orange for only $65.

AWESOME! I just called a vet here and they wanted over 200 :eek: How old do they need to be to be neutered? Gainesville is DEFINATLY do-able for the price difference.

Do rabbits go home same day like dogs do?

Back