New Here and to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbunnymom

Reaction score
Hi,
I just joined because we just got our rabbit my husband has been bugging me for the last year for a rabbit and we finally broke down and decided to get one. My daughter and husband fell in love with what we THINK is a male not sure the breed and the lady said around 2 months. My husband had rabbits as a kid (his stepmother bred them) but I never did. I have read about them off and on through the years and ran into a bunch with 4H. I know they need a mainly hay and veggie/fruit diet and little commercial rabbit food. He currently has a basic rabbit cage and a cardboard box for a play area and will SOON be moving into a dog cage during the day (want to make bedding for it first and the rabbit cage at night. Hes been a great little bunny since we got him yesterday. Hes spent almost ALL of his time out of his cage. I just want to know MORE and also more how to phase out commercial food IF I can.

I also have 2 dogs and 2 kids. Cant wait to get involved here and learn more!!!

Here are a few pictures of our little guy. Geuss on breed would be great!!! Also name ideas! My husband wants to name him Bugs and my three year old wants Fire. PLEASE help LOL

SAM_0287.jpg

SAM_0280.jpg

SAM_0281.jpg

SAM_0289.jpg

He looks like a chocolate or liver colored Dutch to me. I had a black and white Dutch a couple years ago. My uncle and I named her Pamela Anderson. Bugs is a fairly common name for a rabbit- I've met 7 rabbits named Bugs. Try thinking of some unique and interesting names. Kids usually come up with some good ones so I'd ask your children to pick 10 names they like, put the names in a bowl and randomly draw one.
I chose the name Tiberius for my new rabbit because I love Star Trek and because Capt. James Tiberius Kirk is from Iowa like me. Plus Tiberius' brother was named Jean-Luc.

Hey there! Your new little buddy is adorable! welcome to Rabbits online!

i think he's a dutch too. How about:

Milo, Aero, Tuxedo (Tux for short hehe), Jasper, Dandelion-Dandy for short? Domino, Buster...

ahahah good luck, i hope you find the perfect name!

Cute bunny!
As for the diet. Fruit is to be given as a treat. Get him a Timothy Hay based pellet and have fresh Timothy Hay available to him at all times. Veggies can be given but start them slow, maybe a baby carrot or a leaf of spinach. Research what fruits and veggies are safe. Do not give him head lettuce or iceberg lettuce, the lighter coloured stuff. Think dark green and leafy :)

Sadly my son cant help or the rabbit would be named dada or baba LOL (hes only 13 mths) and my daughter wants bunny or fire (shes 3.5). I have weird kids on top of a rabbit LOL.

I looked at American Sables and He fits them to a T except for the white. How likely is that though?

Im thinking Brice but my husband says no LOL They are set on Bugs and I refuse to name it Bugs so we are at a stalemate. I do like Milo and Aero I will ask my husband about those!!!

Today we are getting the things to make him a NIC Cage :D

He got his nails trimmed last night and he just laid there! Is there anyway I can make them shorter (like in dogs you can dremel or cut the quick back but that hurts them)

Thanks!!!!

Brittany85 wrote:
Cute bunny!
As for the diet. Fruit is to be given as a treat. Get him a Timothy Hay based pellet and have fresh Timothy Hay available to him at all times. Veggies can be given but start them slow, maybe a baby carrot or a leaf of spinach. Research what fruits and veggies are safe. Do not give him head lettuce or iceberg lettuce, the lighter coloured stuff. Think dark green and leafy :)

He only got a few banana slices and didnt eat them. He did like apples though but he only got half a small one. Right now he is on FRM pellets because I didnt want to change his food immediatly on his first day in our house or is that ok in rabbits? So far he has ignored the carrots but eats the radish and romaine lettuce. I give him about half a handful for the day. I have the Animal Planet book and it has a loong list that we already posted on the fridge!!! I bought him Meadow Mix for hay is that ok? I dont want to buy it again because its made by Marshalls but it was cheap and had a variety so I could see what he likes.

What is the best brand for both? Hes been eating more veggies and hay then pellets so should I take the veggies out during the day (I give him a little bit at a time through out the day)

I would just pick one veggie and give him a little of it. That is a lot of different veggies and could upset his tummy.
From my experience I just give a couple baby carrots every other day and for a treat banana once in a while like once a week. Also since you just get him I would lay off the veggies for a bit and stick to just pellets, hay and water.
Others may give you different advice but once your rabbit gets diarrhea from too many veggies and fruit it could be too late as they can get sick and die very fast from diarrhea.

I like the name Bugs but it is common, How about people names: Max, Charlie, Jake, Floyd, Ted (Teddy) I give people names to all my pets :p

fbunnymom wrote:
I looked at American Sables and He fits them to a T except for the white. How likely is that though?
It's quite possible that he's a mix, so he might have characteristics of several breeds.

His markings are pure Dutch, though - the triangle of white on the face, white on the front half of his body and dark on the back half are exactly what you'd expect of a Dutch.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_rabbit

Brittany85 wrote:
I would just pick one veggie and give him a little of it. That is a lot of different veggies and could upset his tummy.
From my experience I just give a couple baby carrots every other day and for a treat banana once in a while like once a week. Also since you just get him I would lay off the veggies for a bit and stick to just pellets, hay and water.
Others may give you different advice but once your rabbit gets diarrhea from too many veggies and fruit it could be too late as they can get sick and die very fast from diarrhea.

I like the name Bugs but it is common, How about people names: Max, Charlie, Jake, Floyd, Ted (Teddy) I give people names to all my pets :p

Ive been watching for diarrhea and havent seen signs yet. So no radish and Lettuce? That's the only thing hes eaten and all in small amounts (usually just a few nibbles on each piece but never eat a whole piece). I have a Walker and Layla currently so I love people names for my pets. The only ones we had that my husband named were Flame and Oakley (my husband is a firefighter hence the fire names LOL)

Thanks!!!

MikeScone wrote:
fbunnymom wrote:
It's quite possible that he's a mix, so he might have characteristics of several breeds.

His markings are pure Dutch, though - the triangle of white on the face, white on the front half of his body and dark on the back half are exactly what you'd expect of a Dutch.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_rabbit

I read there standard too and he seems like he fits both. His eyes glow red if you look into them a certain way and hes got dense fur like the Sable standard but for coloring hes Dutch LOL. He is a tiny guy I'm guessing 2-3 lbs. Im getting a kitchen scale today to keep a eye on his weight or is it not a big deal? (I'm used to dogs btw so that's where I get most of my pet ideas LOL)

I'm pretty sure he is a mix. I got him from a store that gets rabbits from local people that had oops. I was more looking for a size range but its not important. In fact Id LOVE a bigger rabbit LOL.

The only reason I did both is he had lettuce in his cage at the store so I figured he was used to it already (was there a week) so I added the radish since I found them cheap and in a small package LOL.

How long would you wait between new veggies?

ETA: Also is there any place I SHOULDNT take him (that he can legally go) and is there a waiting period on taking him out?

Maybe one veggie a week slowly? Just my guideline. I tend to just give them as treats but I have heard others give them as a part of the diet. If you wish to give them as part of a diet perhaps someone else could give you tips on that. Or even research it online.

Your kids sound funny haha! When I was little my brother named his bunny 'Littlefoot' after the Land Before Time Movies ha!

Thanks she is funny LOL. She wanted to name our dog stinky or nasty (got her as a "rescue" and she stunk).

I would like it to mostly be his diet. I do not like feeding commercial pet food if I don't have to (sadly I don't have the freezer space to take my dogs off a commercial diet)

fbunnymom wrote:
His eyes glow red if you look into them a certain way...
If you were thinking about a breed standard which calls for red eyes, that's not what it means. All rabbits' eyes will glow red by reflective light, if you look at them just right so that the light hits the rear of the eye and bounces back (your eyes do, too, and those of most mammals). We have a thread about that on our Camera Corner forum: Photographing rabbits with red eyes.

A true red-eyed rabbit has eyes that are red all over, not just the reflection.

Back