New here and new to having house rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbi

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I live in the UK, my daughter has just bought me a beautiful bunny to have as a house rabbit as I am unable to have dogs. I am disabled and wanted a pet to look after and love. I think she also got it for my grandchildren as they all love her to pieces. Her name is Daisy and she is 4 months old. She has been nicknamed Crazy Daisy by 1 grandson as he saw her flopping and binkying (hope that's the right terms).
I would love some tips on taming and training.

Thanks all x

Welcome! The best advice I could give as a fairly new owner myself (only had a rabbit 6 months and he came fully tamed and loves everyone) would be to take everything slowly. Do not pick her up, force her to be around someone, etc.

Hi all, this is my first post. I live in the UK, my daughter has just bought me a beautiful bunny to have as a house rabbit as I am unable to have dogs. I am disabled and wanted a pet to look after and love. I think she also got it for my grandchildren as they all love her to pieces. Her name is Daisy and she is 4 months old. She has been nicknamed Crazy Daisy by 1 grandson as he saw her flopping and binkying (hope that's the right terms).

Thanks all x

Thanks all x
What breed is your new little bun bun?

I don't know what breed, I think she's a 'bitsa', bits of this n bits of that. Whatever she is she is adorable

If you don't mind I am going to hit Google to see if I can figure out her breed.

How much does she weigh currently. BTW can you put it in pounds? I suppose I could find a converter.

I haven't actually weighed her but I would say she's no more than 2 or 3llb,

Kilos are easy to convert--2.2 pounds per. She's either mixed with a mini or she's fairly young. Very cute. We read everything the library had and consulted with our vet for clarification. Biggest thing with a new bunny is to take your time and have a lot of patience. Another good source for info is rescue groups and the RSPCA.

Kilos are easy to convert--2.2 pounds per. She's either mixed with a mini or she's fairly young. Very cute. We read everything the library had and consulted with our vet for clarification. Biggest thing with a new bunny is to take your time and have a lot of patience. Another good source for info is rescue groups and the RSPCA.

She is only 4 months old

Should be full size at 6 months and then will fill out a little. The giant breeds take a year to reach full size. Sounds like she'll be a small bun. We had a Checkered Giant that was almost 9 kilos--she really was "Giant".

Taming a rabbit is more about gaining their trust, which depends a lot on the individual rabbit as to how long that can take. But it sounds like she is adjusting well if she is already flopping and binkying. This link has some good tips on bonding with your rabbit.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Training also depends on the individual rabbit. Some rabbits that are very food motivated, may be easier to train in some things. But rabbits in a way, are similar to cats. In that they are very independent, opinionated, and it can depend on their mood if they will cooperate or not.

With your bun being a house rabbit, if you haven't already rabbit proofed I would suggest doing so. The majority of rabbits like to chew on things as it's their natural instinct, and electrical cords seem to be a prime target, which of course is a danger to you and your bun.
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/bunny-proofing-your-house/

This link is also good to help better understand how rabbits communicate.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I would also suggest finding a good rabbit vet to have ready in the case of an emergency, and also being in the UK, if your bun hasn't already had the mxyo/rhd1 and rhd2 vaccinations, I would suggest talking to your vet about when to have it done.
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and to bunnydom in general. I've had mine for just over a year and I can't even remember life before rabbits now. LOL! They are so much fun. I think most rabbits are food motivated at least to some extent. I would recommend trying to get Daisy to take food from your hand. The more used to you she gets, the more interactive she will be. Rabbits are smart and will get bored so playing with them and giving them things to play with on their own is really important. You can stuff empty toilet paper rolls with hay or cut holes in then and put in a few pellets or veggie bits. My Rocky loves to roll around a large canister that once contained oat meal. He'll keep playing with that even after all of the goodies have fallen out of the holes! Their favorite game is really easy for you to put together. All you need is a muffin tin and enough plastic cat balls with a bell as you have muffin holes. Put a pellet or bit of veggie in each muffin spot then cover with one of the balls. My rabbits learned how to move the balls out of the way pretty quickly. They will run around me legs as I set this game up. It's alot of fun for them and fun to watch too. rabbit muffin tin game.jpg

Thanks, that game looks cool and so do your bunnies. The white one with the black ears looks like daisy but her colour is very pale.

Thanks to all replies lots of good ideas

Another fun thing for your bunny (and for you to watch!) is to hang greens by clothespins from sisal string. Hang it high enough that they have to work a little to get to it. Mine seem to enjoy this alot, though Natasha (the white one that looks like Daisy) sometimes chews through the string so everything lands on the floor in easy reach. LOL!

Welcome to the forum and to bunnydom in general. I've had mine for just over a year and I can't even remember life before rabbits now. LOL! They are so much fun. I think most rabbits are food motivated at least to some extent. I would recommend trying to get Daisy to take food from your hand. The more used to you she gets, the more interactive she will be. Rabbits are smart and will get bored so playing with them and giving them things to play with on their own is really important. You can stuff empty toilet paper rolls with hay or cut holes in then and put in a few pellets or veggie bits. My Rocky loves to roll around a large canister that once contained oat meal. He'll keep playing with that even after all of the goodies have fallen out of the holes! Their favorite game is really easy for you to put together. All you need is a muffin tin and enough plastic cat balls with a bell as you have muffin holes. Put a pellet or bit of veggie in each muffin spot then cover with one of the balls. My rabbits learned how to move the balls out of the way pretty quickly. They will run around me legs as I set this game up. It's alot of fun for them and fun to watch too. View attachment 38690
OMG that pic is AMAZING!

Latest posts

Back