New hay/food set up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocorabbit

Reaction score
We used to use a cage to put all Coco and Mocho's food and hay, water, etc. But that was kinda' a pain to clean and since our rabbits are allowed around the house, we changed it to something much simpler and easy to clean, and it's very light too!

391468_422397121144802_1121815306_n.jpg

563911_422397137811467_964625456_n.jpg

Just one litter tray (we used the old one from their cage), added some NIC panels with PVC pipe for stability and added a rubber/plastic mat that has holes big enough for the poop to fall through but small enough so their feet won't.

295399_422397191144795_1151805540_n.jpg

The hay rack is just some wire mesh molded into a "box" shape then we slid it behind the NIC "wall" panel and the wall holds up the back (it's not attached so easy to remove for cleaning later). There is also a rubber mat inside the the wire mesh "box" just to keep any extra hay falling out from the bottom and back.

309423_422397197811461_659267325_n.jpg

558441_422397214478126_1933948286_n.jpg

547905_422397267811454_669133985_n.jpg

bunny approved!

558027_422397161144798_866833327_n.jpg

I love the way you set up your hay area. I swear I sweep the bunny room 3 times a day and there's STILL hay strewn all over the place. It seems my buns like to "rearrange" a lot! I'm totally trying this idea! :)

I think it looks awesome!

I use to have something similar for Oreo to pull her hay from. One day she stopped being interested in pulling her hay like that and just stopped eating hay! I had to go back to bins :\

My kids have so much fun with the bins I just don't have the heart to take them away, even if they make a mess. This is the communial station in the living room.

SophieButt.jpg

HoudiniHay.jpg

I hope they don't stop eating the hay! I noticed today they kinda' picked at it... then I put fresh hay in there and they were eating.

Seems my buns just like FRESH hay. So I can't stuff this full of hay and just expect them to eat it all day. Still have to "reload" at least twice a day. Ughz...

BUT it is a lot easier to clean up! And they can't pee and poop in it like they did the bins.

Hmmm... I may be slow on this, but am a bit confused. Are your bunnies litter trained? Is the blue mat the place they "go."

If they are loose in your house, I was kinda assuming they are trained. Or are the photos just the eating area and they "go" somewhere else?

Yes they are litter trained. They don't go anywhere except that spot with the blue mats- they eat there and poop/pee there. Rabbits naturally relieve themselves where they eat.

We only let them free around the house after we saw that they "learned" where their poo/pee station is.

I guess the photo gives the impression that newspaper is laid down directly on the floorwith the grids & blue mat above. I was just thinking what a difficulty thatwould be to clean.

Blue eyes wrote:
I guess the photo gives the impression that newspaper is laid down directly on the floor with the grids & blue mat above. I was just thinking what a difficulty that would be to clean.

Oh yes I can see that now from the pics!

But one of my captions I explained: "ust one litter tray (we used the old one from their cage), added some NIC panels with PVC pipe for stability and added a rubber/plastic mat that has holes big enough for the poop to fall through but small enough so their feet won't. "

So there is a pink pet pan underneath that. if there was just newspaper on the floor that would get really messy! :)

cocorabbit wrote:
Blue eyes wrote:
I guess the photo gives the impression that newspaper is laid down directly on the floorwith the grids & blue mat above. I was just thinking what a difficulty thatwould be to clean.

Oh yes I can see that now from the pics!

But one of my captions I explained: "ust one litter tray (we used the old one from their cage), added some NIC panels with PVC pipe for stability and added a rubber/plastic mat that has holes big enough for the poop to fall through but small enough so their feet won't. "

So there is a pink pet pan underneath that. if there was just newspaper on the floor that would get really messy! :)

Well that makes alot more sense. I did see that you mentioned a litterpan, i just didn't see it :p

Latest posts

Back