New from Stuart Fl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southflbuns

Reaction score
:happybunny:Hi i just joined yesterday after i need help finding some homes for rabbit in dire need at my shelter. I live in Stuart Fl I work at the Humane Society of the Treasure Coast in Palm City Fl. I work with the dogs in adoption(feeding,cleaning,and adopt out) and also i am the sole person for the Rabbit and other small animals(Hamsters,Guinea Pigs,Ferrets,etc.) Myself and my boyfriend live with 5 rabbits, 1 Guinea pig, 1 hedgehog,and some fish) I work 4 days a week 10hw days so i have 3 days off, Sunday is spent with my boyfriend and then Monday and Tuesday i volunteer my time at another shelter in a county over ( St. Lucie county Humane Society). They were gifted some money to make a rabbit room and also to have it be no kill for the rabbits! Amazing i know but when i went to check it out i was shocked. Cat litter in all the pottys,rabbit hair everywhere, dirty caged and un-educated staff. They knew little to nothing about rabbits. Then i knew that something had to be done so that's when i starting spending all my free time with the rabbits. I do everything clean,play,meds,shots,make up litter pans. I am again the one and only person for the rabbits there. I have come to find that people not only think of rabbits as crap pets but they picture there being no overpopulation problem. It all baffles me, needless to say I was excited to find this form and meed to bun people who are as dedicated as i am to them. All of my animals came from the shelter (not fish :)) and most of them were death row rabbits. I am euthanasia certified but i will only put down dogs i do this respectfully and loving compared to most people that will not be mentioned. So other than that i love to craft, i do all kind so media and love meeting new people! -Sara

Welcome to the forum Sara. I was going to recruit you when I met up with you this morning, but someone beat me to it.

We are always so happy to have more people (especially in Florida!) that are dedicated to rabbits join up with us. I wish more shelters understood the needs of rabbits and were no-kill. I run up against the same thing at Halifax Humane Society, where I volunteer. They recently had to evacuate the shelter due to wildfires, and euthanized a rabbit because she was "too nervous" and they didn't feel she would do well at the emergency shelter site at the fairgrounds. All they had to do was call me or the other rabbit volunteer and we would have fostered her! We had a meeting with the shelter director and they have agreed to never euthanize another rabbit before giving us a chance to pull it.

Anyway, it was great seeing you again today and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Hi Sara. I don't know if you got my e-mail or not but I also live in Stuart. I would love to help you with the rabbits at the St. Lucie Humane society if you need me. Just let me know. Welcome to the forum :biggrin2:

Oh yes i always need help i go on Mondays and Tuesdays for about 3 1/2 hws but if you are not able to come on thouse days we would still love to have you help out on the days im not able to be there! -sara

I work 7 days on then 7 days off so I have every other week off. I work 80 hours in 1 week. Maybe I could tag along with you sometime or would I have to go thru orientation? I wouldn't be able to start until July because I'm picking up a lot of overtime in June. I would love to help with the bunnies especially since they don't get euthanized. I'm much too sensitive to see that.

No you can just tagalong if you come with me but if you want to go on a day that im not there then you just have to call and let them know like your name and what not and your in. Its very easy you dont have to do a lot to get it.

Welcome to RO! Thanks for the work that you do for those poor homeless buns. We'vebeen shocked to hear a couple of other stories about animal shelters that know absolutely nothing about caring for rabbits. I'm sure you're making a big impact in your community andraising awareness about the need for *forever homes* for bunnies.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your bunnies!

Hi and Welcome! YAY for the rescuers!!!!!!!!! Sounds like your very busy and wish I was closer to help you. When you get half a second - throw up some photos of your buns - I'd love to see them all..

Latest posts

Back