New Ferret OH WAIT! Bunny Nation cage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camarie

Reaction score
Me and my Boyfriend turned a ferret nation cage into a bunny cage...As u can see Moo is seperate from the other two he has the top and the lovers have the bottom. I have the the bottom doors open to show how it opens cause i know they wont try to jump out. I love ferret nation cages they are so sturdy. oh the cage all the way on top is the guine pigs they have the pent house lol.

Lol Moo never moves while i am taking these pics!

Moo has gotten really big! I've always admired those cages--they look so well built and easy to clean, not to mention pretty spacious. They're way to expensive for me though!

I looked at one of those today when we took Poe to Petsmart to try a new harness out. That may be the way I go for him in the future... Looks great!

I love it so very much it might have been expensive but it was well worth it. Its a great investment. Since Moo is gone now, the top cage now houses the guinea pigs i own.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you had to re-home Moo. He is such a cutie and I'm glad he's in a good home. That space would be super for some guinea pigs!

My Ferret Nation serves as a rat cage. I actually have ferrets.. but they have their own room, haha. The top level is now storage because we're down to 4 elderly rats and they get free range at least several days a week.
cage.jpg

I would reconsider using the FN as a rabbit cage, it is just isn't a suitable cage for rabbits. In my eyes, a FN is for rats and ferrets, period. It is also okay for guinea pigs if you have a double wide. The rabbit you have pictured up in the top of the FN looks cramped in there. Not to mention....2 rabbits in the base? It's just waaaay too small. It doesn't matter how much play time they get outside of their cage, in my opinion.

I have had many dissagree with me, but it's usually for those who haven't seen a FN in person or with stuff in it.

It's just not large enough for a rabbit cage. Also, I would be concerned about a rabbit getting his paw/leg wedged between the base pan/the side panels. I would be scared that his paw could slip under and onto the grate wiring that holds the bottom base pan on.

I totally agree with you undergunfire. While it may look like a good idea, i just saw my friends (with ferrets in it) a couple weeks ago and while its big for two ferrets i dont think you should put rabbits in it. Esp two on one level? You can build a larger NIC cage for waaay cheaper, so im not exactly sure why you would want to spend tons of money on something smaller.

Malexis wrote:
I totally agree with you undergunfire. While it may look like a good idea, i just saw my friends (with ferrets in it) a couple weeks ago and while its big for two ferrets i dont think you should put rabbits in it. Esp two on one level? You can build a larger NIC cage for waaay cheaper, so im not exactly sure why you would want to spend tons of money on something smaller.
Exactly. I mean....the limit for rats in a 1 level FN is 5 at the max. I have 5 large rat boys in my FN141 and they don't even equal the size of one of my rabbits.

well the 2 rabbits i have are getting along fine in it. They havent gotten stuck or anything. The cage i think is huge. and now that moo is gone they have both levels to move from. Well i am very happy with the cage! but i understand how it could not be suited for a rabbit.

:huh It's not huge at all.

My dwarf mix rabbit that's probably under 5lbs is housed in a 66in L x 30in W pen, and even his set-up isn't super huge. The cage you are using is only 36in L x 25in W. All you can comfortably fit in that cage is a litter box and food bowl, but even then there isn't enough room for the rabbit to really hop around. They need a lot of mental stimulation when caged, which means toys among other things.

Also, your Guinea Pig cage at the top is tiny. Two piggies should have 10.5 sq feet, which is generally 30in x 50in. My two boys are in the recommended size, which in C&C cages is a 2x4. I could never imagine having them in something smaller. Check outguineapigcages.com for more info.

I can't comment on the quality of the cage for a rabbit, but I keep my fosters in 24" x 48" pens and the size is fine. They are around 3 lbs. each. They both have an igloo and litter box in the pen.

I think it's a fine size. It's bigger than what we keep the bunnies at the shelter in, and they only get 1hr of exercise a day (on a good day). As long as they get several hours outside each day, it should be fine.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think it's a fine size. It's bigger than what we keep the bunnies at the shelter in, and they only get 1hr of exercise a day (on a good day). As long as they get several hours outside each day, it should be fine.
I agree. Although a 5' x 8' pen like Sparky and Scooter have is ideal, not all of us are able to provide that kind of space. The fosters each have several hours of playtime (especially now that I work from home :biggrin2:) everyday and are very happy little bunnies.

The OP didn't mention if there is a space issue or how often the rabbit's are out of the cage. I know all to well about space limitations. To provide my rats with the proper sized cage I got rid of the TV in my bedroom. I also moved my dresser to a different area of the house.

Rabbits don't need a huge cage as long as they get enough time out of it to run and play. The cage is not tiny by any means. My buns have a big pen, but there's not always space for that.

I have seen a ferret nation up close and personal, and though apparently there is disagreement, I still wouldn't house a rabbit in one. Rats or Ferrets? Yes.

Ya know...it is just so confusing when people run around and say that pet store rabbit cages are by no means large enough for bunnies (which is true, very true)....but yet every one is okay with rabbits being housed in a FN because it LOOKS huge :rollseyes. It's not huge. It's way too small for rabbits. Like I said, I have 5 rat boys in there which is the comfortable max for the FN and they don't even equal the size of a rabbit.

And like mentioned...2 guinea pigs in the top level? It's not enough space for them either. I can POSSIBLY see rabbits in a double wide FN, as long as you make sure they can't get their legs caught....but not in a single. OR...if the rabbits had free run all day and could hop back into the always opend FN for potty or food whenever they pleased.

I guess you really need to have this cage in use for other pets to really understand that it isn't large enough for rabbits. But....to each their own, I guess.

ETA: I mean, look at the size of the FN with toys in it and decked out for rats...and their really isn't that much stuff in there. Look at the size of my rats, too...they are 1 pounders! There is just not space suitable for rabbits.

3622097533_ab359a7572.jpg

Latest posts

Back