New Dwarf Rabbit owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyMista

Reaction score
First want to say hi and how much I have enjoyed this forum so far. Been reading a ton of stuff. I've had my bunny (no name yet) since last friday. She is 7weeks old and is constantly getting more comfortable around me and my roommate.

I've found all sorts of stuff about what to feed her, how to give her her space as well as learning the different signals shes giving via her ears, nose and posture.

Recently or rather today I've noticed that she is grooming herself a lot more. I see her in the morning and after work around 6 and she rarely spends much time cleaning herself and today she has been doing it constantly. Just wondering if I should be worried. I looked and she doesn't have anything visible on her and she looks and smells clean.

It has been interesting to see how she acts differently with myself and my roommate. I'm a guy and when its just me in the house she'll run and hop around, sliding on our wood floors and crawling all over me while I'm browsing this site. She normally doesn't like to have me groom her, however she'll play almost a hide and go seek type game, where she'll run somewhere I'll get down and look at her and she'll run off. Then I'll go back to whatever I was doing and she comes up behind me and stands up and sniffs my shoes and pants then runs away when I get down. She also seems to listen to me when I tell her to leave cords etc alone.

My roommate who is female can hold her and pet and groom her for hours and she is completely content laying on her yet she never wants to run around and play with her, never listens to her and usually ignores me when I tell her no.

I think its pretty funny overall. Right now we're feeding her alfalfa oxbow hay till shes around 6mos and switch to timothy and grass hay along with unlimited pellets which are timothy based I believe. Last night she was in her cage and just flopped down like a dog when we were getting ready for bed ha. She also randomly started licking my ear and neck when I was holding her the other day and petting her.

Also found we have a cheap bunny because the only things she likes to play with are bottle tops, the paper wrapper to my subway sandwhiches, plastic cups and an old blanket. This is my first pet in 23yrs(as of today yay for me lol)

I actually don't really like animals that much but I love our bunny and have even surprised my roommate and family with how much research I've done into this. We want to get another bunny in a few months but this time we'll go to a rescue shelter.

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0156.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

Aw, well that's an adorable looking bun - I think it's great that you've done so much research on bunnies - and grats to you for your first pet in 23yrs! I'm sure your bun will educate you well

Happy birthday! and welcome to the forum.

One thing though, you really don't need bedding in her entire cage. If you put bedding just in her litterbox, she should essentially litter train herself pretty quickly.

Oh good to know.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll put up a few of me holding her later.

She learned pretty quickly. Shes next to me watching me type this lol.

Not having litter everywhere won't cause her to get sores etc?

It looks like your cage has a solid plastic bottom, so no, that'll be perfectly comfortable for her.
Some bunnies slide a bit, for example I know some that will only run on carpet, but if that's the case you can try some fleece or a towel, as long as she doesn't eat it.
My bunnies are in cages built from storage cubes with wallboard for flooring.

So anyone know why she seems to listen to me when its just us but not my roommate or me when shes with me as well?

Oh well thats good to know it will save us money that we can spend on her better.

I was reading about insurance and saw that some people said you had to own the bunny for 3-6mos or they had to be 6mos old. Whats the verdict or is it based upon the company and if so what are the most popular. I saw the thread about one company and heard about one I think VPI as well.

My bunny rocks

:(

She died tonight. Idk why but she started kicking and then stopped moving and I tried to check to see if she was breathing but she wasn't

Yea. Idk.

I'm good with dealing with stuff but it sucks.

We're going to get another one but sadly the spca only has 3 available in the area:( but we both want/need another one.

Idk it sucks

I am very sorry for your loss.

If your willing to drive houston has bunnybuddies.org.

Or mabye I can help with transport check petfinder.com out. We could do 2 hours where four hours a part. So we might meet in the middle I am willling to do that.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm not sure what it could have been, but with a bunny that young it is hard to tell.

Yea like I had just finished feeding her and giving her a treat for using her litter box and then she went to lay down and started kicking wildly then went still and I heard like two faint heart beats and she was limp.

We just got a 4month old which we aren't sure if shes a lop or what since she has long ears like lops but they aren't loppy. They are pretty long and wide. I'll put up some new pictures soon.

Thanks for the thoughts and the info I've gotten from this entire site.

I live in Houston and am a member of Bunny Buddies, so I could help with a transport. However, there's North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary in Garland, Wild Rescue, Inc in Lewisville, and House Rabbit Resource Network in Austin,

I was trying to get ahold of the one in lewisville but couldn't get an answer. We want to get another one thats around 6mos so she'll already be spayed. We just really wanted to get another one now.

We'll probably go look next monday since they have like 80 at this time ranging from babies to seniors. We would rather get an adult since I'm not experienced enough to handle a baby and I don't want a senior rabbit as of yet.

We're going to try and join one of the groups as well and another reason we want to go the shelte out is that they have a detailed history and the money goes to a good cause even if its around 35 more.

I'm not very familiar with the one in Lewisville, but a friend of mine got a beautiful Flemish Giant from North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary. They are good people!!!!

I do think older rabbits are easier to handle for people just getting started with rabbits. Babies are really fun, but very ADHD. And, with an adult you have a better idea about the "final" size and real personality. And trust me, rabbits have HUGE and varied personalities.

Here's a site that may help you with general rabbit knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare

Back