New cage..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
Well, My parents were nice enough to buy skippya new cage..it's a bunny condo..two floors... 48 inches in length..it'sa real nice one..

But, my question is..Do I just move all of his things into the new cageand move him right in when I get the cage? Or do I take time to do it?We don't have much space in the apartment for two cages..but I wasn'tsure how long the process would take if I needed to slowly work himinto it.

This is what I did when I moved my buns to theirpens. I left both doors open and started moving all theirstuff into the new pen. First litterboxes and hay, then someof their favorite toys and some new toys, then the last of thestuff. Then I let them explore their new home during theirnormal playtime and closed the old cage. At the end ofplaytime, I fed them in the new cage. Some of them needed tobe picked up and put in, but that's more because I had replaced theflooring and they were a little scared of it.

When I moved Fey and Sprite from their quarantine cage to their NICcondo, the cages weren't in the same room so I just moved all theirstuff in there and then picked up the buns and put them in there andclosed the door.

When we built a new cage; We just put him rightin it Lol. We didn't take things slow. But his old cage was still inthe room so when he was out running he would always go back to his oldcage and not the new one. But he got use to it and now loves it.

When I made Rodney his bunny condo, I left hisold cage in my room for a week and let him play in both cages. He soondecided the new cage was much roomier and cooler and started sleepingin that one, so then I removed his old one.

We built Delilah a NIC cage that is one levelfor post spay. I moved her into it a day before and she did binkies init, however a week after surgery she started jumping back up to theother one. She would shake the bars on the new cage at night and if Ileft her door open she would keep trying to jump up to the oldone(still in same room). SO,I finally gave in and put her back in herold cage which is smaller than the new one. It is 3 levels with rampsabout 3ft x 2ft so large enough for her but still I am bummed. I wouldsuggest gradual or removing the old cage so your bun is not confused.

I was just going to ask the same question! Ijust moved my two rabbits out of their hutch and into a C&Ccage. Smudge is ok but Spotch hates it, he thumped and grunted at me.:shock:

Back