New 'cage' set up... is this going to work ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBunny

Boomer Bunny
Reaction score
okay so Mr/Mrs Bunny came home late last night. I set the cage up also with everything i have read being bunny safe. so on the left hand side is a fleece blanket to keep bunny snuggly and warm and soft place to sit... in the middle is just newspaper covering the bottom of the plastic cage with 2 cardboard tunnels/tubes and thats where i have put a bowl for the fresh food and treats. then to the right i have a full sized kitty litter pan (for toilet training in the future) full of paper pellet litter and a large bowl with hay for the rabbit to eat in the corner. I also hung the water bottle above the tray and i seen Bunny knows where it is because Bunny already drank from it... then the whole cage sits on our sun room which is like a big room at the front of the house facing north. the sunroom is fully enclosed with huge glass windows and all tile (terracotta sort of colour and texture so isn't slippery has lots of traction) floors and a lounge and outdoor table setting. everything has metal feet. the worst bunny could do out there is chew up the lounge, but thats ok. i've never liked it anyways.... bunny when comfortable will have free run of this area permanently and will come indoors when we are home and can supervise. i'll take a photo later of the whole place .... but the 'cage' is what i am unsure about, should i be including anything else in there ???

The bunny has the whole room in the photo (ignore the laundry rack and folded washing, been raining here...haha) the cage is for night time. It is a sun room at the front of the house. The cage i plan for only locking him up at night or whenever needed, so it is nothing spectacular. When I figure out what rabbits play with and like to explore i will scatter toys tunnels etc around the sun room.

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

there is now a box house in the cage also to hide away... except the bunny sees it more as a shelf to sit on...haha. as soon as i put it in the bunny climbed on top and there he sits watching whats going on around him.

Buns often like to sit up higher to keep an eye on things.

It may not be a problem but if your bun seems to struggle with litter training then you may want to remove the newspaper.

The only thing I would question is how warm the sun room gets. Buns can overheat. Also make sure the bun cage is not in direct sunlight since a bun can get too hot laying in sunlight streaming through a window.

yes i have considered that and i leave the curtains closed when i am out at work all day. it does get quite warm in the middle of summer. i have no problems bringing the rabbit inside in summer to keep it cooler it will just be confined to the cage though on those days. a large car port is going to be built on the outside directly in front of the sunroom and will be enclosed so the sunroom will be getting minimal sunlight soon enough. that will defiantly cool the sunroom down in summer. landlord is waiting for council approval for that.
Summer has come to an end here ... it is autumn now and cooling down considerably. still bunny will be inside on hot days in his cage just hanging out on his box.

From the photo, I see a door on the top of the cage. Is there a door on the side also? When bunny is free to roam, is there a way for bun to get back in the cage (and to the litter box)?

yes large front door which opens down. he knows how to climb in and out already... figured that one out quickly. uses the door like a ramp.
Today i purchased plastic cat balls with holes/slits in them and stuffed them with hay. he loves them. Especially the one i stuffed with basil. i also found a long wooden strung toy that hangs from the roof with a bell on it (like a big bird toy). and scattered small random boxes around... he just likes to sit on top of them really.

He has come inside today as it is a bit warm out there and much cooler in here. We have also had a Myxomatosis warning over facebook from the local vet. some cases of it this week in my suburb. so a little paranoid of mozzies at the moment. Haven't had any inside yet or even in the sunroom. so far so good! but sad that is in this area and we need to be cautious.

His area looks much more fun and appealing now. I think he likes living here. he is sooo curious and always on the go. LOVE having him here. i'm trying to type quietly as he is sleeping next to me on the rug. (SO CUTE!) At least he has given up on trying to eat my computer and keys.

how old are they when they toilet train ? he does the majority of poos and especially wees in the litter pan. the other % are on me or the floor.... haha. hasnt wee'd on the floor yet. Just poops. but he does poop a lot!

If he does most in the tray, then he's probably well on his way to being litter trained. As your house is new to him, he will leave more poops around as a way of marking his territory. This should ease up given a little bit of time and some persistence on your part in putting the poops where they're supposed to go. Bandit is toilet trained, though I still get maybe two poops a day where they aren't supposed to be. And that's very good for a bunny, we all know how much poop they do!

My little guys poop EVERYWHERE. :pullhair:

Felix is good at only peeing in his litter box, but Clementine still pees on the floor sometimes, and she recently found an old pillow she likes to go potty on! For training Felix I soaked his accidents with a paper towel and put it under his litter, and cleaned the spot with vinegar to remove the smell, so he'd hopefully avoid pottying there in future. I wasn't quite as on top of it with Clem, which explains why she's still peeing on the ground. :p

They poop a LOT in their litter box, but due to the sheer amount that they do poop, I end up with a ton on the floor as well. Feeding them only in their potty area helps immensely, but sometimes we give them little snacks of lucerne hay on the carpet. Yesterday Felix got so excited about a lucerne treat he pooped in excitement while he was running over, haha!

:sweep

If he does most in the tray, then he's probably well on his way to being litter trained. As your house is new to him, he will leave more poops around as a way of marking his territory. This should ease up given a little bit of time and some persistence on your part in putting the poops where they're supposed to go. Bandit is toilet trained, though I still get maybe two poops a day where they aren't supposed to be. And that's very good for a bunny, we all know how much poop they do!

All the poop he leaves on me or the lounge goes straight in to the litter box.
he's doing awesome. only peed on people twice hahaha but poops all the time. all the wees still are happening in the corner of the litter tray. i've cleaned the litter tray just an hour ago. so hope he still pees in it when it has been cleaned out.

hes only a baby so i expect lots of accidents

Back