New cage design

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
I'm designing a new NIC cage for my ND, and I need ideas!! I want to build one that's smaller, but maybe taller? Like, smaller as far as width is concerned, but taller so I can add more levels? I want it to fit nicely in the corner of my room, and I'll give her more free run of the room.
Any pics/ideas? Also, do you all put litter boxes on every level of the cage?

The minimum suggested space for a rabbit is 4x2 (8 square feet) so they can stretch out and move. And it should be tall enough for them to periscope. I think levels are awesome but I don't think they count toward the 8 square feet. I understand that you might have a limited amount of space but I would try to keep it as close to the recommended size as you possibly can.

I don't think you need a litter box on every level unless they start going potty on the additional levels.

This website has some nice pictures of bunny housing of all kinds, it's given me ideas in the past : BinkyBunny - Habitats
Here are some youtube videos that I found helpful: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm424k-b78"]101 Rabbits - NIC Condo[/ame] & [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyUPxE-wB8"]101 Rabbits - NIC Condo 2[/ame]

Edited to add: I'm also thinking about building a new condo for my bunnies so if you find additional resources please share! :)

Last edited:
Thanks!! Oh, when I said smaller, I didn't mean a tiny little thing she couldn't move it! :) I just meant to make the cage smaller, because she'd be having more time out of the cage. Check out my blog, The Bunny Bunch, because I have some pictures there of NIC cages, and I was thinking of doing a cage somewhat similar to the last one.

I hope I didn't sound like I was being critical. I'm so used to over explaining :) ( And as you can tell I adore that BinkyBunny site)

What a cute bun you have! The last one looks good. If your panels are the same length as mine it would be roughly 3.6 x 2.4. that should work out great for your tiny girl :). I might go 3 panels high instead of 2 if you have the spare panels.

What kind of flooring are you going to use? I have three buns with conflicting flooring needs so it's been a struggle to find one that works for all three. >.<

Oh no, you didn't sound critical at all! You sounded like someone who cares :)

Yes, I was thinking of going 3 panels up, but it's such a big difference from the two panels! Ruby is a tiny little thing, so I think some toys and fun things will keep her occupied until she can come out :)
For flooring, I wasn't entirely sure, but this is what I did with my previous cage: I put grids on the bottom, and then put wood down, perfectly fitted so they didn't slide around. And then, I put tile on top of that. Is there a simpler way to do it?! :p

Back