New Cage - advice needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo

Reaction score
Here's my rabbit, Sam.

I've had him now for just under 2 years.

Can anyone tell me why he has one ear up and one ear down? Is itbecaise he's a cross? Or a mongrel as I call him to his face? Ha,joking.

I've got one other rabbit who is now coming up to 13 years old. Shelives on the outside though in a huge (you can go in a walk around init) custom built play pen.

My question is in regards to my house rabbit. He's a big jumper, healways wants to get to the highest place in the room, even if that'syour shoulder funnily enough. I'd like to get him a cage with a fewlevels in it so he can jump around when he isnt roaming free.

I was looking at these two cages, are these suitable, what do you think?

SPECIFICATIONS :- 81x51x76cm

SPECIFICATIONS :- 90 CM X 52 CM X 62 CM

At the moment, he's in a single level cage with sleeping hole. It's just over 4ft long and just over 25th wide.

Other recommendations welcome. (UK)

Thanks.

I'd recommend building your own NICcage. It's so much better and cheaper than these ready-madeones. There are several threads here with pictures andlinks. Let me know if you have trouble findinginfo.

Laura

We bought supplies for and built our NIC cage inone day (granted it was the whole day). Ours is held together by zipties, and is very sturdy, we also have 1 inch by 1 inch wood rodsrunning through it. Total is cost about $80, whereas the biggest rabbitcage at petsmart was $240 (and about 1/4 the size of the cage we endedup building).

Three cheers for NIC!! If anyone wants plans, I can draw some up forthe cage we have, and write instructions (it might be best to PM me, asI sometimes lose track of threads, things move so fast around here!).

Most people use the plastic clips that come withthe shelving unit and then use zip ties to connect them just to makesure it doesn't come apart, other people just zip tie one grid to theother. I had issues with both methods, I didn't like the bulk of theplastic clip and I didn't like the looks of justconnectingthe grids together. I used grommets to put between the shelves and thento hold everything nice and tight I used 2.5 inch acrylic washers andfender washers.

Megan

Thanks for all the replies.

After looking at that thread I think I'm going to strongly consider building my own cage.

Something like this one would be perfect...

Condo1.jpg

I might go and have a look at what's available for building in my local shops (after I've searched for advice of course).

However, can anyone tell me if these types of cages are 'movable'? Ibring my rabbit cage into the living room when he's having his run outso he can enter and exit as he pleases, however, when I go to bed Ialways put him out into the dark hall - so the cage would have to bemovable. I ask this, as I see that in a lot of these cages the floorseems quite flimsy etc, is there an alternative?

Thanks.

Edit: What exactly is the 'squares' used to make up these cages? Where can I get them in the UK?

Been searching for ages.

Finding it impossible to get th cubes anywhere in the UK?

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Someone here (I think it was Lyndsy and themonkies, but I can remember) built NIC cages with wood bases on castorsthat looks very mobile. Ours is rather difficult to move as it is noton wheels, but not impossible.

As for getting them in the UK...I am sorry I can't be of more help:( I have seen them for sale on ebay, but I think the seller was in theUS, and international shipping might be costly.

HELLO!

I STRONGLY recomend building your own cage, it saves you money big time, and you can build however you want!

this is my cage:

231nh0

It took my husband and I about 8 hours to do the whole thing you see here.

Way bigger and cheaper!

Monkeys!:)

lyndsy wrote:
HELLO!

I STRONGLY recomend building your own cage, it saves you money big time, and you can build however you want!

this is my cage:

231nh0

It took my husband and I about 8 hours to do the whole thing you see here.

Way bigger and cheaper!

THAT IS PERFECT.

I'm dead set on building my own cage. I just need to decide on adesign, but if I may, I think I might just copy yours, or at least useit as a template.

Do you have any more advice or guidlines on what you used to build this cage? If so, much appreciated.

Now the only thing I need to do is find the wire cubes in the UK. Ifound some on USA ebay but the seller wont ship to the UK. Are the wirecubes weighty? If so, the postage will probably end up costing morethan the actual product!

Mongo,

ANY questions at all, just let me know...

I've given some other people some ideas in my topic, Buster and Tuckers pics, there's more pics there as well.

Bad news.

I woke up this morning and my coming up to 13 year old had died in her sleep.

I was, in a way, prepared for it. She just hadn't been herself for thelast month or so and after her sister (same age) passed away last year,I have been prepared for a long time now.

Nevertheless sad. Especially having had her since my childhood. Still,she lived a happy life, especially for a Netherland Dwarf.

Great thread Lyndsy, I will np doubt have some more questions for youwhen I start building my cage. I've ordered a catalogue here in the UKwhich I'm told sells the cubes, so I'll have a look in that. Failingthat, I will again have to investigate alternatives. Can anyone tell mehow heavy these things are? So I can work out if it's worth shipping tothe UK.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny, but 13 years, WOW, you obviously took wonderful care of her.

You seem to have worked out the cage debate. I've decided NICcubes are the greatest thing to happen to rabbit care.LOL I also wanted to say, Sam is beautiful!!

Thoughts and Prayers for you today.

Jen

Hey Mongo!

So sorry to hear about your loss. She will be waiting for you on the other side.

;)

As far as the NIC cubes, they are pretty heavy. I would say they weighabout 10 lbs a pack, and for our cage we used 5/6 packs. We used themfor the flooring as well, and put wood on top. Un fortunatley, shippingto the UK is the MOST expensive place to ship things. My husband and Ido alot of buildning and shipping, daily, and we both agreed it wouldprobably cost you around150-200 dollars to ship what youneed, in NIC cubes from Canada. You're looking at dimensional weight,size and weight of the product. From the US, i'm not too sure it wouldbe much different...

Our cage, the one I posted a pic of here, cost us about $225 CAD. Thatincludes everything you see, wood, tiles, carpet, zipties,etc.except the toys.

Busters cage however, cost us about $150 CAD, but it isn't the same size, and it doesn't have wheels... yet!:)

2cim40

Sorry about the towels... we hadn't had enough carpet!

So you see, it still costs a bit of money, but what you get isdefinatly worth it in the end! A few hundred bucks spent well in mymind!

We've got them here, so if you have ANY problems getting them, let me know and we'll see about shipping them to you from here!

Let me know,

Thanks for all the sympathies.
Much appreciated.

I think (it's in the balance) I've just managed to source the cubes in the UK, so I wont have to worry about shipping.

Can you just answer a few questions about the ramps and material on the shelves?

For the shelves, is it wood on the grids? Is this attached in some way?
How have you connected the ramps to the shelves?
What is that on your ramps and shelves? I was thinking of puttinghardened griddled carpet on mine? How have you safely attached this?

Many thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Again, much appreciated for everyones sympathies.

Hey Mongo!

Sorry I tried to reply earlier, but in the middle of my reply, my power went out... so I took my dog for a long bike ride!

Any way!!!!!

To answer your questions, yes it's wood on top of the grids, and theyare attached using zip ties. My buns aren't very big, so the zip tiesare enough to hold it together... The ramps are also zip tied to theshelves. We used indoor/outdoor carpeting, it's an extremely low pile,and I used carpet tape to hold it down. It's cheap so I bought extraand if they soil it, i just rip it out and replace it...

I hope this helps, if not or you have ANY other questions, just let me know!

Good luck and happy building!

Grrrr.

The cubes I thought I'd found here in the UK were not the right typeand completely unusable when I went to see them in the shop.

How come these are so hard to find in the UK?

I went all around the major DIY etc retailers in my area and nothing. Even in the ones that have had them in the past.

All I've got left is CostCO. They wont let me enter though unless the card holder is with me which is delaying progress.

Frustrating. But I'll stick with it.

Latest posts

Back