New Bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I would like tips for any kind of care for a bunny: grooming, litter tips,food, cage tips, getting them settled in and anything else at all... :)

Shes precious! How do you even try to resist that?

Indoor or outdoor bunny?

By the way, I would like tips for any kind of care for a bunny: grooming, litter tips,food, cage tips, getting them settled in and anything else at all... :)

I recommend you scroll down to the rabbit library on the main page for forums, it is a wealth of information. :)

She is absolutely adorable! I know I couldn't resist her myself! lol

Tips from my experience with my 2 Jersey wooly sisters:

Cage: We love our xpen with our flannel cover with its wooden clothes pins to clamp it on! lol Gives room for a nice size large or extra large cat litter pan, ceramic food/water bowls & hidey/play boxes.

Litter for bunny litter pan: Breeder recommended Yesterday's News or Petsmart's Exquicat paper litter plain unscented cat litters. Or you can use wood pellets for horse stalls or for the pellet stoves (without accelerant or other chemicals) you can purchase at feed & seed stores or Tractor Supply.

Food: Horse quality hay! And more horse quality hay! lol Yes, hay is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of a bunny's diet! Personally from my own experience & wonderful RO member advice, I would suggest you either check out local feed & seed stores for their horse quality hay. Here we can only find Bermuda. It is also around $8 for a bale of horse quality hay compared to $16 here for a 40 ounce bag of Oxbow Timothy! A bit more expensive but still very economical for my two buns is ordering through a wonderful online seller, Sierra Valley Hay! My bunny girls love the great quality & long lush blades of hay! You can see, smell & feel the difference in the quality of the hay & those pet store bags! I only use pet store bags of hay in an emergency situation when I am out of the "good stuff!" There are other wonderful hay sellers online that other members can suggest from their personal experience so I will let them add their recommendations. I've only used pet store bags of hay (Oxbow or Kaytee brands) & Sierra Valley shipped to my door!

Pellets are also recommended. We use Oxbow Essentials for adult bunnies but I think she is still a baby bun so you will want an appropriate pellet for a young bunny. Make sure it is a good quality pellet. Other more experience members can give you more information to help you choose the best pellet for your new bun with her age.

Other foods/treats: Young bunnies should be limited to hay & appropriate pellets until they are old enough for their digestive tract to be better able to process other foods. Any new food with any bun should be given in very small amounts and gradually increased to avoid digestive upsets. Digestive upsets can be very serious or even deadly so it is better to go slowly with new foods. If your bunny is old enough for veggies & other healthy foods, start with Romaine lettuce or choose a single herb such as Cilantro. Give a small amount initially and gradually increase over a week's time. RO has a list of bunny safe herbs & veggies.

Fruits should only be given as treats & in very small amounts & not too often. Once again to avoid tummy/digestion problems. Papaya & banana are favorite fruit treats here with my girls. Another addictive treat is Craisins, promegranite infused is a favorite & I've heard cherry infused is now THE preferred Craisin of choice of Nala & Gaz two of the bunnies of our RO member, Imbrium. My bunnies are still waiting for me to get them to give their judgement.

Grooming Tools: I have Jersey wooly girls with their thick fur so you may not need the same grooming tools. Also, all of my brushes/combs except a Zoom Groom came from Petsmart as that was where my breeder worked part-time & her recommendations.

Pin brush: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3727721&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Slicker brush: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Tummys-by-Little-Remedies-Berry-Gas-Relief-Drops-1-oz/20684153

Comb: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12196445&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

That's my basic (all I can think of off hand) list. Give your bunny time to adjust & settle into her new home. Talk to her, sing or read aloud to her but let her make the initial contact. I threw a bed pillow on the floor in front of the xpen opening & stretched out watching tv, ignoring my bunny girls. They eventually decided I wasn't going to move & it might be safe to try to get near me to investigate all avenues of escape. I then started having treats in my hand to entice them to come to me. Their food pellets are a great easy, healthy bribe to get your bunny to accept your hands & explore you! Oh, you will also need a good cat nail clipper to do bunny nails or have your bunny's vet clip them for you.

Can't wait to hear about your new bunny girl!

Cutie!!

Did you figure out what happened to the other one? My only concern would be if there was some kind of illness if you were using the same environment . I'm a new owner myself, but I'd just want to know if there was an illness present, know what I mean??

Beautiful bunny, though, and I hope everything works out! :)

I'm actually getting two mini lops! That one was reserved right before I could get it...:(

Latest posts

Back