New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasspack

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been on the list for a while and we have a mini satin bunny that we love to pieces. He is my daughters(she is 11) bunny and she doesn't like to share. So, I have decided to get my own bunny. I found it today!!! It is a 6 month old half English Lop/Velveteen lop. She is about 6 months old and the sweetest thing I have ever seen. I am bringing her home on Tuesday. She is broken Black. About the size of a mini lop. I would have brought her home today but I don't have her NIC cage ready yet. I want everything to be perfect.

Oh, by the way...her name is Mavis!!!:):) I feel just like a new MOM.

Alice

I don't believe I've seen you on the forum before, so hello!
Congratulations on your new bunny (to be)!

Be sure to post photos once you've finished your cage (of the cage) and of your new bun.:biggrin2:

I am a lurker....I spend hours reading and don't do much posting:( I will try to do better now. I am going to start my cage tonight but won't be able to add the shelves until my husband has a chance to cut the plywood. But I will post pictures when I am done.

Glad to know I have somewhere to go to ask questions.

Alice

Thanks...I have the cage built, just waiting on hubby to help me do the shelves and trying to decide what to put on the floor to protect my wide pine floors. She has never used a litter pan so have to have some protection down for the floors for at least a little while. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Alice

Welcome!

Glad to see you have decided to post. Yes we would love to see pics of both your buns. Do you plan to try and bond them at all?

I have Agnes a Lionhead doe, and Archie a mini Rex buck that I'm currently bonding,

This is a great forum full of tons of info and we all love to talk about our buns. I am a mom to a 3 year old son but a mom to my two fuzzbutts too. I know what you mean feeling like a new mom :)

As far as material for the bottom there are so many options.

Coroplast is a common pick. It's sign material usually available at hardware stores or sign stores,

Some people also use linoleum or tile.

Or I've seen people use those foam squares wrapped up in shower curtain.

People may have other suggestions.....that's just what comes to mind now.

Again welcome! Look forward to hearing more from you.

if you want protection for the floors outside the cage itself (like if you set up a playpen or play area), I recommend a cheap tarp from walmart - that's what I've done for my bunnies :)

Hello,

I hope to bond them once she is settled and spayed. Our male, Tebow, is neutered and very sweet, but we will see what he thinks of a new housemate. I put their cages in the same room but on seperate walls. If I like the NIC cage that I built for Mavis then I will build hime one too. He is in a smaller cage right now but is out whenever I am home. Which is alot as I am a stay at home Mom of three(ages 22, 19, and 11). I have my days to play with the buns:)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

alice

If you do plan to bond them anyway, you may want to hold off on building a new cage for Tebow. If they do bond, it's easiest, once bonded, to put them in a 'new' cage rather than a cage that one or the other considers his own. You could just use your existing cubes (or new ones) and build a condo for two when the time comes.

(Sounds like you are in a similar boat with your kids. Mine are 21, 18, and 12.)

Thats a good idea....I will see how they get along. No rush as they are fine in their own cages. Tebow is very good with his litter pan so his cage is cinch to keep clean. But if it all works out having them have each other as company would be nice.

Alice

Latest posts

Back