New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUKEZRA

Reaction score
First the story....

The other day I went to Pet Supermarket to buy my cat food because it's cheaper although I don't care for that store for several reasons including the baby bunnies they always have for sale. Of course I have to stop and look at them and there was also a woman with her 2 children looking at them. The kids were saying "I want a bunny. I want a bunny" and the sales teen practically forces a bunny on them and lets the kids pet one etc.

The woman asks "Where are the cages?" and the sales teen points out the smallest cage imaginable and says "this is all you need" to which I state to the woman "that cage is WAY too small for a rabbit". Anyway the woman with the kids left without a bunny.

So I looked at the bunnies a little longer. There were 8 total. You can imagine how adorable they all were although I don't think there were any purebreeds. I left the store but couldn't stop thinking about them. I told my husband and he pretty much said "we have enough bunnies" like he always says although his interest was peaked when I mentioned a solid gray baby (he has a thing for solid gray animals).

He was right of course, we have enough rabbits and I wanted my next rabbit to be a rescue from the shelter since 4 out 5 of my bunnies are pet store bunnies but joining this forum has enlightened me :biggrin2:. I do believe the pet store bunnies also deserve a great home but I really wanted to adopt from the shelter.

Well today my husband says "Come on...let's go". I say "Go where? I have to work in a couple hours." He says "We're getting the gray baby." :shock:

So I am feeling some guilt over getting another pet store rabbit but I adore her. I checked and I think she's a girl but I named her Maxie so it could easily be changed to Max if she sprouts testicles.

Sorry this is so long but I had to confess where she came from when I introduce her... pictures to come shortly.

She sounds so cute! Hehe, the line about her sprouting testicles made me laugh. I agree that shelters and rescues are the best places to get bunnies from, but my feelings are if you meet a bunny somewhere that you have to have, then that's that! I'm sure Maxie would have picked you if she could have, who knows who may have bought her if she'd stayed at the pet store. Now, post those pictures!

Even pet store bunnies deserve to be "rescued" from what could be an impulse purchase in a non-rabbit savy family - know what I mean?

But..how could you post this without pics of the new bunny?

:biggrin2:

Here's a few

100_0312.jpg

100_0315.jpg

100_0314.jpg

Oh my gosh, she's so precious! What a gorgeous little baby. The first thing I thought is that she looks like a cross between Mouse_Chalk's two bunnies, Mouse and Chalk, when they were babies! SO CUTE. More pictures? How is she settling in? What's her personality like? Inquiring minds want to know!

I understand about "petstore" bunnies. Although I am totally thrilled that I have Bo, I would definitely go to the shelter to get a bunny in the future. We only got Tony because he is (or was) a 4H project.

Anyhow, I am really excited to see Maxine! I'm glad your hubby decided to get her too!

Is she gray or chestnut agouti? She is ADORABLE! :hearts:

She is super cute. She looks very happy you bought her, too.

My boyfriend is terrified every time I make a trip to a pet store. I have bad impulse control when it comes to sad or cute little animals, which is how I ended up with half my ratties.

My current bunny is a pet store bunny. It honestly never occurred to me that you could adopt a bunny from a shelter until I joined this forum. He came neutered, with a birth certificate, and a health guarantee, which I found surprising. I am going to get my second bunner from the shelter on Friday. I fell in love with her within the first five minutes of meeting her, and if she had been in a pet store I would have loved her just the same and gotten her no matter where she came from.

What a little cutie-pie you have there! Congratulations on your new addition.
It honestly never occurred to me that you could adopt a bunny from a shelter until I joined this forum.
So many people don't. Whenever we do an adoption event, we get so many people comment that they never knew the shelter had rabbits.

Back