new bunny won't eat cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
is something wrong with my bunny ? he won't eat his cecotropes and i don't know how to encourage him to eat them

What’s the diet of your bunny, maybe your bunny is producing more cecotropes than what he can eat :)

What’s the diet of your bunny, maybe your bunny is producing more cecotropes than what he can eat :)
i just got him yesterday and he started this before i fed him but i've personally been feeding oxbow pellets (a small scoop), a nice of alfalfa and timothy hay bc i don't know if he's a baby or not he's a lot bigger than his picture made him seem, and then spring mix but a small amount bc i don't know how much he was given at his temporary home

also the lady temporarily housing him was also feeding the same pellets, timothy hay, and veggies but he was living in a cage with her rats for about a week so maybe he was eating their food

He’s just moved to you wait a few days and see if it will calm down. Sometimes a stressfull moving and new place can make the stomach a bit stressed for bunnies, if it’s not working you can just let him have hay and slowly introduce the rest of the food. To see what causing the cecotropes.

It can be the alfalfa hay because he didn’t have it before but it’s better to just let him settle down and observe 😊

I agree with you @Hermelin. Wait a few days and see what happens. Bunster doesn't eat ALL her cecotropes. How many cecotropes do you find? If its only a small bit, I wouldn't worry.

Last year we rescued a bunny that produced tons of cecotropes and didn’t eat them. He was given alfalfa hay, guinea pig food and apples by the previous owner. By recommendation of our vet we gave him only Timothy hay, no pellets and no veggies for a week and then very slowly introduced Sherwood pet health pellets (red bag) just 1 or two pellets every 4 or 5 hours to see how he reacted to them and then slowly moved up from there to a regular amount. Once he was up to a tablespoon of pellets and had normal poop we slowly introduced veggies. Very small amounts and only one type of veggie each week. Also when you think small amounts consider what is small to you when you hold it vs what us small to a bunny. Our vet said the size of a front paw is a small amount for a rabbit so thats the size of a fingernail for a human :)

Latest posts

Back