New bunny with extremely tiny droppings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollie1115

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new bunny owner of a 5 month ok black holland lop buck and a 9 week old black holland doe.
The buck is doing just fine. My concern is for the doe who doesn't seem to be pooping normally. For the first week she was pooping fine. Two days ago I saw little tiny black poops and read online it could possibly be from not drinking enough water. I did notice not as much water as normal was consumed. I put the bowl in front of her and she took a bunch of sips. The next day her droppings were back to normal. Again this morning I noticed not a lot of water was consumed and her poop was started to become very small again. She is otherwise eating her hay and pellets as normal. Any ideas of what this could be?
Thanks so much!

Small poop is caused by a slowdown of the digestive system. It has various causes, the most common being stress, dehydration, and insufficient fiber and/or too many sugars and carbs in the diet. If not corrected it can lead to GI stasis.

If she normally drinks from a water bottle, the water may not be coming out very well so she isn't getting enough water. Continue to offer a water dish and see if that helps. If she's had a water dish for several days and her poop is still coming out small, it's likely due to diet. If you feed any sugary starchy treats, I would suggest stopping those. Also cut out pellets for a few days and feed unlimited hay only. You want to make sure your rabbit is eating plenty of hay to make up for the lack of pellets. Then when her poops are back to normal, gradually reintroduce the pellets. But it's likely you won't be able to feed the same amounts as before or her digestive system will slow down and she'll get small poop again.

This explains how rabbits digestion works and how slowdowns occur.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=484#.UZ8FPbx7LTo.twitter

Thank you for the information. She has been drinking more water and these droppings seem like thy are probably the cetropedes(however you spell it) she is still not eating them so I have taken away her pellets as you suggests and just gave her a ton of hay. Hopefully this works!

Back