New bunny Update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
We were waiting on May 2 to pick up a grey, male flemish giant. I am a usually practical adult but when it comes to animals I can lose my head at times:)

We were trying to arrange a trip to see the buns before pick up as we paid a deposit and wanted to pick the right one for us. Wednesday was good for us but not for the breeder which was disappointing. Things are crazy here and it did not look like we would be able to make a trip before the pick up. Breeder broughyt up Friday and I spoke to my husband and was prepared to say we uldn't but after rereading the email realized she was saying we could come up to pick ours out or pick him up.

I was then feeling even more disappointed since they are ready to go home but we were not. We still had a cage to build, I didn't see how that could be done since we don't have the supplies for building yet, etc. Well I talked to my husband, then his cousin. We gave her our dogs cage a year ago. They just got a puppy and ours hasn't been in it since we first brought him home from the shelter. She still had it but does not use it so my hubby picked it up on his way home from work and we all took off for the breeders.

I let my husband pick since I picked our dog and he's a bit of a knucklehead:pWe did pick a grey male although after seeing the young buns in person and the parents, I liked all colors. The dad is absolutely huge! He is agreat little bunny. I think my husband is smitten. He thumped at me this morning, has already binkied, eats pellets, hay, drinks plenty, is a pooping machine. We will be building his cage soon but the dogs will suffice for now. It is big enough for his size. I ran to southern states today to get more food, hay, etc. He already likes his carrot toy and has several others along with paper towel rolls.

Now to think f the right name for him...

Oh, and to get my dog to stop whining which he has done almost non-stop since getting home with the little guy.

Lol congrats! I understand. It can be very exciting for sure! Congrats on your new baby! I am glad he is making himself at home already :biggrin2:

My dog has gotten plenty of attention, he just wants to be able to play with the bunny too. he just gets super excited about playing with other animaqls and for him it doesn't matter what they are. Everyone and every animal is someone to play with. he's calming downthough himself. The bunny is fine with himand will go near at least the few times the dog has stopped the whining. I'll work on it alot during the weekdays. Then it will just be me home with the dog and he is calmer then. he feeds off the kids energy.

We got to see a bunny flop this morning! He only pees in his litter box now which is great. He only leaves a poop or two outside of the cage. He does most of that in the litter box although when he sits at his food dish for a long period he will poop in the cage outside of the litter box.

because he is doing so well we will leave his cage open for most of the day so he can come out and run around when he wqants to or go into his cage if he chooses.

Congrats on the new bun! I can't wait to see pictures, and find out what you name him. He sounds like he's fitting right in. YAY! As for the dog whining, my Texas Heeler does the same thing. He won't hurt them, but wants to see them. He's forever sneaking in behind me, into the rabbitry, and ends up watching them while I make my rounds.

We still haven't chosen a name and so far that is the hardest part of having this guy. He amazes me and makes me smile every day. Redd (our dog) has finally stopped the whining. He sleeps in the same room at night and will hang out there during the day.

I know he just wants to play with the bun but he is big. He usually plays calmer with smaller animals but the bun for now is smaller than his head. I also do not want the bun to be scared badly so I am taking it slow.

I agree that your dog is just interested in the bun. I had my first rabbit before I got my dog, Troy. Troy was a wee pup and grew up with Bailey. He was wicked whiny for the first year of his life - haha!

He'll be 6 this year and man...he loves the wee buns. He sleeps with them, grooms them and still whines at them if they are eating something that isn't his (he loves their pellets, the big cretin), or if they are playing and running around because he wants to join in.

He's a bit of a clod :p

Choosing names is HARD. I have a page on my blog of past names I've used if you want to peek:

http://raisincane.weebly.com/names.html

My Molly came with her name and I couldn't decide on any other name so enough time passed that Molly stuck. Gubble and Matthias are characters from different novels and Atticus is named after a hiking mini schnauzer that lives in NH. His owner Tom Ryan recently published a book about their adventures.

Though, sometimes the best names are just made up ones :) I've had a number of those too!

Yes, please pictures! I keep checking your stuff to see if you have gotten your flemish giant yet, because I am jealous and wanna see it. < ------ true story :bunnydance:

Make sure and take lots of pictures! They grow a pound a day i swear lol mine were all grown up before i got enough giant earred baby time!

Did you think bout getting a sibling to bond him with? After these two i found (black and white) i would love the idea of having contradicting volors as a pair!

Still struggling with the name. I would prefer something not common. All of the cute names pop into mind because he is such a cutie pie and just so entertaining. He does all of the bunny things I have read about here, telescoping, binkies, bunny flops, bun 500, grooms himself...

He at times can be a little timid but that is mostly with sounds that are new to him and somewhat loud. I expect that from a bunny. Mostly he is curious and will come investigate.

I have been taking pics and will post some, I just have to get the husband to walk me though it at least once.

I swear he is getting larger every day.

Back