New Bunny shopping list..anything I missed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
We will hopefully be adopting a house bunny next weekend. I am finalizing my shopping list and I spent the last hour racking my brain and perusing the Petco, Petsmart and petwerks websites and this is the list I came up with. Please let me know if I am missing anything vital or should take anything off the list.

Extra large dog crate 48x32x30"
2 baby gates for the doors
X pen 36" to attach to the crate for extra hopping space while confined
X pen 24" to put in front of the TV to keep all the yummy wires safe while bunny is out with us.
Carrier for bringing bun home and vet trips
Untreated wood for shelves for crate plus dowels
8 c clamps or other clamps to attach x pen to dog crate
Compressed paper litter, till I find a good source of horse pellets or fire pellets
Water bottle
2 bowls that attach to crate (food plus greens)
Big plastic under bed storage box for litter box
Timothy hay and orchard grass
Grass mats
Willow branch ball(s)
Salt lick
Big cardboard tube
Look at bird toys for suitable ideas
Look at cat toys for balls
Nail clippers
Litter scoop
Crate pad or cuddly bed
Cardboard boxes for hiding and chewing
Plastic electric outlet covers
Natures Miracle
Pertromalt

What did I miss, anything on the list that doesn't need to be there? Thank you for any and all help.

Oops! I forgot to ask about food, I was wondering what the best type/brand was, when I had my last buns (15 years ago) I just used the cheapo pellets but I really want this bun to have the best...so what is the best?:bunny5

Is it an adult or baby bunny?

Most likely an adult, the humane society we are going to had a few babies but they are not very socialized and need a very experienced owner, I doubt we will take that on. The four I am most interested are all between 2 and 6 years old.

Skip the salt wheel and Pertromalt. A good pellet will provide all the salt and minerals needed. Cat hairball stuff is not suitable for rabbits as it tends to dry out any fur and can just make things worse.
A water dish is generally better than a bottle. The rabbits drink more and it is easier to clean.
I would recommend some fleece or towels as bedding. 2 is usually good so you have one in the cage while you can wash the other.
I use white vinegar to clean the litter box (do a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle), it gets the calcium build up off. Also good for other general cleaning.
Some brushes are a good idea as well. A bristle and pin brush (they usually come together) is a good start. Anything else can depend in the rabbit.

You will probably find you need more things later one, but your list is a very good start.

As for pellets, I use Oxbow and have good results with them.

Oxbow and Kaytee are probably the most popular brands. I don't know what the difference is. I use a huge cheap bag from a feed store. Most of your buns, if they are house buns, diet will probably be vegetables.

Skip the salt wheel and Pertromalt. A good pellet will provide all the salt and minerals needed. Cat hairball stuff is not suitable for rabbits as it tends to dry out any fur and can just make things worse.
A water dish is generally better than a bottle. The rabbits drink more and it is easier to clean.
I would recommend some fleece or towels as bedding. 2 is usually good so you have one in the cage while you can wash the other.
I use white vinegar to clean the litter box (do a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle), it gets the calcium build up off. Also good for other general cleaning.
Some brushes are a good idea as well. A bristle and pin brush (they usually come together) is a good start. Anything else can depend in the rabbit.

You will probably find you need more things later one, but your list is a very good start.

As for pellets, I use Oxbow and have good results with them.

Thank you! We used Oxbow with our pet rats and they loved it, I have heard it is a really good brand, will get a bag. I wish I knew about the vinegar/water mix when we had the rats and our hamsters! We used fleece with the rats but the chewed the heck out of it, I will make the bunny some blankets and watch for chewing. I will get a water dish, I will get the kind that locks on the side of the crate for him/her. Thanks for the advise. :brownbunny

My bunny girls said to remind you, you need Craisins! Preferably Pomegranite infused or as a reminder to me to try the Cherry infused Craisins! Papaya is also in their treat suggestions. Since you are getting an older bun treats will help (in moderation) with not only training but human/bunny bonding! You might also want to consider getting a cat treat ball. My bunny girls love getting their morning pellet "treats" in a little plastic cat egg/ball they push, roll or toss around to get those pellets out. lol

I am just going to tell you what I have for my six rabbits. A supply of salt and mineral wheels for my one year old that loves them. Many dishes for their cages and for the exercise room. I have water bottles and bowls for my rabbits just preference. Sauna tube, cat cubes, baby keys, rawhide shoes ( natural), baskets, wood chews, birds toys that are fitting, wood blocks, cat balls and large balls that they can push away. I also have hay racks, lots of fleece blankets and of course litter boxes, fuel pellets, hay and pellets. Hope this helps a bit!! Have fun

This isn't something that you have to buy, but you do want to make sure to get some transition food with your bun, so you can gradually switch him/her over to the new pellets. And it's also good to find out what other foods the bun has been fed and/or likes, and if there are any particular toys it likes, or has a stuffie or blankie it is attached to and could be sent home with it. Also, as weird as it sounds, some buns can be picky about their water being changed(tastes different). You could bring a gallon jug to fill and bring home with you to gradually get the bun used to your water.

If you aren't putting the hay in the corner of the litter box, then you will need a bin/basket or hay rack for it. Also it's good to have a variety of oral syringe sizes on hand, and infant gas drops(simethicone) for mild cases of an upset tummy.

Last edited:
This isn't something that you have to buy, but you do want to make sure to get some transition food with your bun, so you can gradually switch him/her over to the new pellets. And it's also good to find out what other foods the bun has been fed and/or likes, and if there are any particular toys it likes, or has a stuffie or blankie it is attached to and could be sent home with it. Also, as weird as it sounds, some buns can be picky about their water being changed(tastes different). You could bring a gallon jug to fill and bring home with you to gradually get the bun used to your water.

If you aren't putting the hay in the corner of the litter box, then you will need a bin/basket or hay rack for it. Also it's good to have a variety of oral syringe sizes on hand, and infant gas drops(simethicone) for mild cases of an upset tummy.

Excellent suggestions! I have been taking notes from everyones posts. Will take a gallon jug for water. I'm giving the shelter a call on Tuesday to ask probably ten billion questions and will buy a small supply of whatever food they are using. I would love it if they let me bring home any lovies or security items the bun may be attached to, anything that makes his or her transaction easier will be very welcome. I'm headed to Petco to get the crate and a whole list of other items today, then off to Joann's to get a bunch of nice soft fleece for blankets. I want everything all set up and ready to go for his or her homecoming. :bunny17:

I would get one bowl for water, rather than a bottle. Then I personally feed all my rabbit's pellets in 'treat balls' either solf for rabbits, cats or dogs as they makes them work for their food. I would never put veg in a bowl, thats easy to scatter about the pen, means they have to hop about a bit and use their noses if you hide it.

Back