New Bunny Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just adopted my first bunny from the local humane society yesterday, and I am wondering if his behavior his normal. He's been super friendly and inquisitive, but he has barely been eating or drinking. He has hay, and I offered him both pellets and some greens, and he ate a little bit of all of them but not much at all. Is not eating much in a new home normal, or should I call my vet? He has generally been fairly energetic (though right now he is passed out under my chair), but I wanted to double check.
Thank you!

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be too worried about him not eating, unless his teeth are messed up or something. He might just be a little nervous and need to feel more comfortable first. Are you feeding him the same pellets as he had at the humane society?

Do you know what he's used to drinking out of? I know with my bunny, when the lady I got him from found him, she was worried for the first day that he wasn't drinking a whole lot, but she was trying to give him water from a bottle. When I brought him to my house, I gave him both a bottle and a bowl to see which he preferred. He knew how to drink out of a bottle, but he most definitely prefers a bowl!

I'd say if he's really not eating or drinking at all, you should call a vet. If he's just nibbling here and there, that's probably fine.

Has he been going poo and such?

When I first got my britannia from convention He had diarrhea and wouldnt barely eat anything. It was a hard show for a little junior only 5mths old (show was a week long with a bunch of handling and then a 12hour drive home). The person who drove him home would try to give him as much fiber as possible(bread and alfalfa) to keep his stools get normal. I would try alfalfa hay to get some protein in his body. Sounds like he is just stressed from the move. As long as he is still nibbling. As soon as he goes off feed or water call someone and get him in a vet office. Just let him settle down for now.

Exactly how much are you feeding him this might help some of the other members determine if he's getting enough.

Latest posts

Back