New bunny parent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle Helfand

Reaction score
So,

We’ve been bunny parents for almost a week, and while it’s a lot of work, it’s been really fun. I almost have Winston fully litter box trained which definitely reduces the maintenance aspect of his home.

Winston was born 6/12/18
He’s a standard rex (from a weak line)
He loves to poop, chew things, and snuggle

What are some words of wisdom you can provide?

What are the dos and do nots?

Neuter or not?

Best toys/treats/games?

How can you manage a bunny staying home alone overnight without anyone to check in (we don’t have anyone). We do have cameras and we’re planning on getting a feeder which was on a timer or app operated if we do have to leave (we have no plans go go anywhere any time soon).

Pics are attached; the red mat was removed because Winnie likes to chew it and I don’t want him eating plastic.

Thanks everyone!

Gayle and Winston Bunny

Attachments

• CD5EA582-F280-494D-AE15-54AFC75D9A34.jpeg
    CD5EA582-F280-494D-AE15-54AFC75D9A34.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C9E6BFA-6D65-43FE-BA25-A0CC6A42FE42.jpeg
    1C9E6BFA-6D65-43FE-BA25-A0CC6A42FE42.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 5D4C1861-3EFE-49BC-9622-3EDFA589B6B4.jpeg
    5D4C1861-3EFE-49BC-9622-3EDFA589B6B4.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 18
Im000089_1.jpg Hello and welcome to the forum!

I love rex fur! So velvety. He's beautiful. He reminds me of a rabbit I used to have (photo).

Winston is almost 4 months so hormones may kick in anytime from now until the next couple/few months. How those hormones affect him may determine whether or not you decide to neuter. I had one male that barely showed any hormonal behaviors and I never did have him neutered. Some males do best neutered to make their potty habits consistent, reduce urine odor, or stop other potential hormonal behaviors like lunging, growling, aggression, or spraying of urine. It also is a good idea if you intend to get a bondmate down the road.

For overnight outtings, I just leave plenty of extra hay and water. I do not leave extra pellets. (We also have a camera for those rare occasions.)

Toys vary per rabbit. Some play with smaller toys. Others don't. It's really trial and error. I think they all like to explore cardboard boxes which you already have. Changing and rearranging those boxes can help keep interest up.

TP tubes (empty or stuffed with hay) can be fun toys for some. Seagrass or willow mats often like to be chewed up.

As for do's and dont's, some of that can be found on my rabbit care website here.

I see you have a hedgehog? I have been thinking about getting one sometime in January. Been doing my research in the meantime and have found a breeder. Any tips or suggestions concerning getting or caring for a hedgehog?

Last edited:
@PepinoPineapple (IG) is so much fun because he’s extremely socialized and around people a lot. As long as they have a heat lamp, food, water, worms, and a wheel for their cages they’re good. Plan on spending a lot of hand on time and get ready for lots of poop... with a bath here and there.

Thank you very much for the bunny tips. They seem like lots of work but super funny. I’ve been getting quotes between $4-600 for a neuter and that seems outrageous.

Your bunny is gorgeous I love rexes!! That is very expensive for a neuter, but I’m basing that on UK prices maybe it’s different there? I would call around and also ask your local rabbit rescue if they offer a service or can recommend a vet?

So,

We’ve been bunny parents for almost a week, and while it’s a lot of work, it’s been really fun. I almost have Winston fully litter box trained which definitely reduces the maintenance aspect of his home.

Winston was born 6/12/18

Neuter or not?

Best toys/treats/games?

How can you manage a bunny staying home alone overnight without anyone to check in (we don’t have anyone). We do have cameras and we’re planning on getting a feeder which was on a timer or app operated if we do have to leave (we have no plans go go anywhere any time soon).

Pics are attached; the red mat was removed because Winnie likes to chew it and I don’t want him eating plastic.

Thanks everyone!

Gayle and Winston Bunny
So,
dear Winston,sounds like you have excellent humans,--dear parents-I have been a bunny slave for years-I have outlived all but one-named {b deium}-he will be 13 years old oct.22-2018-or 91 years old,.--your learning has just begun--what I have learned could fill volumes-if I could only remember half of it.!-the rabbit online library is excellent source or medirabbit.com esther vanpragg is a lagamorph scientist..!--find out the closest exotic dvm-you will be visiting soon,.rabbits are a labor of love!!-my facility is a special designed environment,{free roaming}-complete with hvac,broadband lighting,and camera.-welcome to rabbiting..--sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail rip

Winston was born 6/12/18

Neuter or not?

Best toys/treats/games?

Thanks everyone!

Gayle and Winston Bunny

Latest posts

Back