New bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyM4m4

Reaction score
I'm new to having rabbits and I wanted to know a few things. First, how does bonding work? Is it possible for my rabbit to bond with my cat? And second , my bunny has a bit of a temper and tends to bite when she doesn't get her way, can I change that? Like reward and punishment? Lastly, litterbox training?

It probably sounds stupid but I wish she was sweeter. She loves cuddling but will bite i If you don't pet her.

They won’t exactly “bond” with a cat, but they can definitely make friends :) can work well for bunnies that don’t get on well with other bunnies.
Is your bunny spayed? Entire, hormonal rabbits can be more aggressive than spayed rabbits. If she is being too bitey, you can try letting out a squeal when she does bite, to let her know it hurts. If she gets too mean you can try shutting her into a cage/pen as a sort of time out. How old is she? They can be extra grumpy when going through puberty.
Again, litterbox training is easier with a bunny that has been spayed. Start by putting the litter tray in an area she likes to pee a lot. If she doesn’t pee in there, wipe up the pee with a tissue and put the tissue in the litter tray so she recognises the smell and recognises that as her territory. Also, make sure you only have substrate in the litter tray and keep the rest of her area as just hard surface - they prefer not to pee in hard surface as they get their bum wet.
Does she have a cage? Pen? Free range? It is best to restrict to a smaller area while litter training and gradually increase the roaming area as she gets better.
I hope I answered all the questions! Feel free to ask some more!

What Popsicles said.

Can't tell much about cats, my Fury discouraged neighbours cats by approaching them, but I had different dogs here, the rabbits were somewhat interested for an hour, and completly ignored the dogs (which in turn ignored the rabbits) completly. I had them sitting side by side munching carrots, but they didn't really interact (exept that moment when Herr Hase stole the carrot out of Ginas mouth).

Never, ever think about punishing a rabbit for what it does. That doesn't work. Imho the best thing is to ignore biting, etc, and cuddle it anyway. If the rabbit want's to get away, I let it go, just to pick it up again and give cuddles - and release it before it throws a tantrum. Be persistant, and predictable, at least that's how I deal whith my monsters.

I am sorry for saying this, but it always makes me wonder how out of all sections of the forum people pick Health and wellness for this sort of questions?
it just limits number of people that read it (and answer), I think...
Sorry once again, and good luck!

They won’t exactly “bond” with a cat, but they can definitely make friends :) can work well for bunnies that don’t get on well with other bunnies.
Is your bunny spayed? Entire, hormonal rabbits can be more aggressive than spayed rabbits. If she is being too bitey, you can try letting out a squeal when she does bite, to let her know it hurts. If she gets too mean you can try shutting her into a cage/pen as a sort of time out. How old is she? They can be extra grumpy when going through puberty.
Again, litterbox training is easier with a bunny that has been spayed. Start by putting the litter tray in an area she likes to pee a lot. If she doesn’t pee in there, wipe up the pee with a tissue and put the tissue in the litter tray so she recognises the smell and recognises that as her territory. Also, make sure you only have substrate in the litter tray and keep the rest of her area as just hard surface - they prefer not to pee in hard surface as they get their bum wet.
Does she have a cage? Pen? Free range? It is best to restrict to a smaller area while litter training and gradually increase the roaming area as she gets better.
I hope I answered all the questions! Feel free to ask some more!
She has a cage she's in there most there most the day because I babysit my neices and I don't want her to bite them. I let her run around my room for about 4 hours in the morning before the children come over. She's about a year old. We got her from a family friend who was trying to use her as a breeder/meat rabbit.

I am sorry for saying this, but it always makes me wonder how out of all sections of the forum people pick Health and wellness for this sort of questions?
it just limits number of people that read it (and answer), I think...
Sorry once again, and good luck!
Soory. I'm still learning to navigate the website.

How big is the cage? It’s inportant they have enough room to run and exercise, especially if you can’t let her out for too long - frustration and pent up energy won’t help her behaviour.
You say you got her from a breeding unit, does this mean she isn’t spayed?

Correct. Its not a rabbit cage, really, its a kennel for a large dog. She used to be in a really cramped mesh cage so we wanted her to have a bit more room.

Correct? To the spay question?
Ah very good, I’m sure she’s glad you took her in!

Correct? To the spay question?
Ah very good, I’m sure she’s glad you took her in!
Yes, she isn't spayed. She can be sweet when she wants to and I feel her attitude is partially because she barely had human contact. I'm trying to keep her as stress-free as possible though.

Have you thought about getting her spayed? It can make a difference with temperament especially with female bunnies, and it also prevents diseases such as uterine and mammary cancers.
Yeah that sounds like a good approach :)

Latest posts

Back