New bunny owner :) unknown breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbenator

Reaction score
Hello! We welcomed our first bunny home yesterday. I remember having one as a kid, but I was so little that I had to research everything all over again to prepare. A friend of my husband's family had rescued a bunny from an old abandoned hutch left outside. He brought her home, and much to his surprise, he ended up with seven more bunnies shortly after.

He is unsure of the breed, and even though I would like to know, I'll love my little bun regardless. He has a very sweet and curious disposition. I have a small child, so during the day I let the bunny have his time in his cage. I admit, though, I like checking on him and talking to him throughout the day. We have decided at night after the baby is in bed, Jimmy can come out of the cage and roam the living room. He seemed pretty pleased with this last night. He hopped up to my husband to sniff him, then allowed him to give him a few strokes before hopping over to me to sniff at my leg. He stood on his back feet to get a good look around, then started to binky all around the room. When it was time to go back, he let me pick him up and snuggle for a minute before I put him up.

He seems pretty content in his cage. He goes back in easily, has room to stretch out, plenty of hay, and I bought an edible log that he likes to lay in sometimes. After reading, though, I'm starting to wonder if that was a bad idea. Should I take the log out even though he doesn't chew it?

Any questions or comments are greatly welcomed. I know I still have a lot to learn, and I want what is best to help keep my bunny's life healthy and happy!

IMG_1591.jpg

Jimmy on his way home.

Male or female, Jimmy is adorable! Congrats on your new wee friend :)

What kind of edible log is it? Is it one of the one's pet stores sell, or is it an actual wooden log from outside?

What a pretty bunny. Sounds like she's settling down nicely.

My only advise is get to know your bunny. Watch when introducing new foods, do it slowly. Bunnies don't let you know much so you need to watch for signals. Grinding teeth is good (that's purring and happy) Grinding teeth while all hunched up is bad (tummy ache or pain).

Also you should look into seeing if their is a Bunny Savvy Vet in your area. Bunnies, when hitting puberty do get territorial, grumpy, nippy, etc. All because of hormones. Spaying your girl will help tone those down, plus give her a heads up for a healthier life.

Enjoy getting to know your bunny. And your little one as well. Bunnies are such neat critters to have around the house. Plus being a wild animal, you have accomplished so much earning their trust. It's a work in progress with bunnies, but truly worth all the work you put into. They are amazing, intelligent, sweet, funny animals.

Congratulations!

K:)

It was from a pet store. I grabbed it thinking that it would be a nice place for it to snuggle up, and it said something about alfalfa and honey on it. I burnt the box last night so I'm not sure of the brand, but I might be able to do a google search on it.

We are planning on finding a vet soon, but since my husband works two weeks on each shift, it will be a couple of months before we get to the spaying subject, I'm sure.

Thank you again :)

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back