New bunny not moving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
I brought home three new Holland Lops yesterday. Tater and Isaac have been running around and binkying, but Bear just sits there and doesn't move AT ALL. Even when I cleaned off his bottom and trimmed his nails, he just chilled. None of them really messed with their pellets last night and none of them ate their papaya tablet either. They are eating the hay and pooping.

Is he just scared and that's why he's not moving? Or is something wrong? His belly doesn't feel bloated at all. I've felt down his back and on all of his legs and nothing seems painful.

I felt compelled to post pics of not only the new babies, but the "old timers" as well. The first pic is Isaac, then Tate, then Bear. Those are my new ones. Then there's Kevin (lop) and Johanna (angora), my spayed/neutered pair that I'm working on bonding with. Then there's Shyla the little white lop mix and Simone the evil Lionhead from hell LOL.

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

011.jpg

008.JPG

066 (3).jpg

When I adopted my first boy and girl they ate just fine immediately, but my second girl wasn't too interested in anything other than hay and water for a while either. She was running all over the place in excitement the first few days though. It sounds like he's being timid in his new home and seeing other bunnies around. I'd give him some more time before I'd start worrying. Try coaxing him to come around any way you can, with toys, food, and one-on-one attention. And does he have a secure place to hide in if he is feeling scared?

He seems to favor the willow tunnel and sat in that for the whole three hours he was out last night. I have the three new ones quarantined from the older ones right now, so as of now he's around his two younger "brothers". He did come from a different place than the other two though. He was actually supposed to be snake food. :(

IMG_4510.jpg

Eating and pooping is a good sign. But it does sound like he may be a bit nervous in his new home. If so, you'll want to try and limit handling him for the first little while if that seems to make him scared. Also keeping him in a quiet location and providing a hidey hole can help reduce the stress for him. Putting his cage near a bunny friend that he appears to get along with can also be extremely helpful in making him feel more comfortable and safe in his new home.

You'll want to keep a close eye on his pooping and eating to ensure he is continuing to adjust alright, and doesn't develop any health problems from the stress of being in a new home.

My girl Clementine was still as a stone when I brought her home, and didn't fuss when she was picked up. I think it was the stress of being in a new place that already smelled like another bunny. After a week or so, she started coming out of her shell, and felt a lot more at home over the next few weeks.

As long as his health still seems normal (like Jenny said, eating and pooping) I wouldn't worry, give it some time and I'm sure he'll perk up. :)

I'm actually going through the same thing with a guinea pig right now!

Back