New bunny not eating or drinking water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyshuman wrote:
[align=left]AngelnSnuffy wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
if you have tylenol, you could cut a pill up and give just a little to her. maybe cut a normal tylenol into quarters?
[/align]
Tylonel bad for buns. If you did have a pill she could have, it would have to be crushed, mixed with a little water as a paste, but thinner and syringed;).
oh oops. tylenol bad for buns. i got confused about which one.
cut up an ibuprofen instead?
Yes, as Naturestee mentioned, children's ibuprofren would work;).

My bridge bun Lila was actually a little "down" after her spay. Your bun is so beautiful by the way...just thought I'd pop in a word or too about Lila.

Lila did not eat or drink much for a couple of days!
She slept a bit and with a little bit of painkillers, she slowly came round.
Lila enjoyed a bit of exercise after her spay and a few pats on the head every hour or so.

I really do think a spay or neuter is quite a big op! Vets do them so routinely and most people just see them as so standard and they are, its just that all the hormone levels are altered, buns moods are affected, appetite affected and it all takes time to recover properly.

Good luck with your gorgeous little girl, she looks like an angel.:)

Yep, a spay is worse than a neuter, but Bo acted as if he'd been made to hop for miles on end....... he laid on me and slept for hours and hours..... and milked every cheek rub and kiss he could get!

Thank you for everything.

I crushed up a little ibupro and gave her that last night. She is feeling much better today. She ate all of her breakfast salad, and some pellets. She is drinking plenty of water and even chewing on her toys.

Good to know what you can and can not give buns, for pain. She seems to be feeling good. I think I'll let her out to explore a bit tonight.

I didn't have it handy when I let her out this afternoon, but as soon as I put Floppy away for the night, I'll let her snoop around again and will snap some. She is so curious, came right out of her cage and checked out the whole living room. She went right up to the dog, sniffing her without caution. Floppy sniffed her cage and saw her (through the cage.) They were disinterested in each other, so hopefully bonding should go well. ;)

More pics coming soon, I promise!

KIF_1171.jpg

KIF_1165.jpg

KIF_1169.jpg

LOL! I finally figured out what the "pink thing" is above her! Good idea!

LOOK at that little face! I love her! She's got the cheekiest expression here! You can almost see her little wheels turning in her head... "hmm I think I'm gonna like it here......"

KIF_1171.jpg

Well she has settled in nicely and I don't have to worry about her any time soon. She is eating like a PIG, drinking plenty of water and lets both myself and my husband handle her now. She was very shy with him, but took to me right away. He is so happy she has accepted him. Her incision is looking good, and I have not given her any more pain medication since that night. She is very active and does not act as though she is in pain. She also has a brand new NIC condo to relax in, I actually built it as an add on to the cage she was in, like a yard. BIG bunny needs a BIG space.She is also using the litterbox now, Hoooray for Ruby!

Hi Guys,

Just saw this thread since I have been busy with other issues. This is a prime reason to ask lots of questions before allowing a doctor to treat your rabbit for anything.

For spays and neuters (or any surgery)....removing food is not good. If the bun we are treating eats pellets (and that is rare here) we do remove them a couple of hours before sedation but we do not remove hay and water. If the clinic staff tells you to fast the rabbit, ask to speak to the doctor as that is most likely an eduactional issue. If the doctor tells you to fast a rabbit, find a real doctor.

Pain meds should always be used post-op...and preferably narcotics. Many doctors will prescribe Metacam....it's better than nothing but not appropriate for post-op analgesic. We generallu treat for pain 3 days for neuters and up to 5 days for spays. If a doctor says they don't use pain meds....don't let them treat your rabbit.

Ask these questions before the procedure.

Randy

I wish I would have been given an option. This was the vet chosen by the shelter I adopted her from. I was not allowed to bring her home or to my vet until after she was spayed at this vet. I was wondering how much experiance they have with rabbits, but they are a small animal only hospital so I thought it would be ok. They shaved a HUGE portion of her belly and pretty far from the incision area. I will be taking her to my vet for a checkup in a week or two after she has a chance to heal.

Her incision is a little red. This is 4 days after surgery. She does not seem to be in pain, I know rabbits are good at hiding it when they are.
KIF_1190.jpg

I wish I would have been given an option. This was the vet chosen by the shelter I adopted her from. I was not allowed to bring her home or to my vet until after she was spayed at this vet. I was wondering how much experiance they have with rabbits, but they are a small animal only hospital so I thought it would be ok. They shaved a HUGE portion of her belly and pretty far from the incision area. I will be taking her to my vet for a checkup in a week or two after she has a chance to heal.

Her incision is a little red. This is 4 days after surgery. She does not seem to be in pain, I know rabbits are good at hiding it when they are.
KIF_1190.jpg

I think that incision might need checked. It looks a bit infected maybe? Or is it bruising?

Regarding pain meds - I must give my two cents here. While I believe that spays should have pain relievers to come home with, I don't think every neuter would need them.

Our exotics' vet is not only a great vet, she is a top national vet, who trains other vets nationally and teaches at Purdue University sometimes. Purdue is one of, if not the, top Veterinary Schools in the nation.

Her decision was to send Bo home with a good dose of pain meds in him. That was it. She did say if he seemed to be in a lot of pain and/or was not eating, pooing, whatever, to call and she would order something or I could just come in and get something. He slept most of the next 12 to 24 hours but did eat and drink and pee and poo a bit as well.

I trust her judgement completely - she's not going to harm my animals nor would she leave them in pain.

So, as I said, I think it's something to look at with each neuter, but I really don't think it's always necessary - Bo was young, healthy and a text book surgery. In the future, we might neuter Tony - he would be older, bigger and we might very well need to put him on pain killers for a time.

:twocents

I've been checking it twice a day, and it is a little darker pink around the incision but doesn't appear infected to me. She has pink skin, so would bruising be pink? I put a touch of neosporin (regular not plus) on it just to be sure its not getting infected. She has a vet appointment this Friday with my regular vet, to recheck everything.

Might just be irritated skin. If you dont' think it's too red/pink it's probably fine. Is it hot?

She's so cute laying there...... How's she acting ?

No it's not hot, and its not as pink now as that picture looks. I'm fairly certain its fine. It looks to be healing nicely.

She is as sweet as can be, very active and interested in exploring her new home.She is also so much more mellow than Floppy. She lets me hold her upside down like a baby and look at her incision without flinching. He hates to be upside down! Also eating like a pig, and drinking plenty of water. Using the litterbox..though the one I had for her was too small and she would end up peeing over the edge. Got her a bigger one with higher back sides and it works great.

She was meant to be part of this family.

Latest posts

Back