New bunny mom!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyMarieB

Beagle Bun Mom.
Reaction score
Greetings bunny friends!

Day after Halloween, I rescued a bunny from a family friend who unfortunately doesn't have a great track record with pets. She wanted to be done with having animals, but her dad surprised her family with new bunnies, since the old ones passed away. She's just not an animal person, and she had no clue how to take care of these poor animals. They were unfortunately purchased from a flea market at 6/7 weeks old. One of them died on Halloween. (She had them for four days.) So I told her I would take the other, and she gladly gave it to me. I spent most of that day researching before she handed it over, but unfortunately I saw a lot of conflicting information, so I wanted to join a forum full of experienced people who can hopefully help me. The bunny is going to have a MUCH better life with me, as it was living in the garage in a tiny cage with a food/water dish that took up half the cage. She was feeding it pellets, timothy hay, and like two full carrots a day. (Which I know is a no no.) So yes. While I don't know a lot, I definitely already know more than her. (I'm also a beagle and gerbil mom, and it seems like the gerbils are a tiny bit like the buns when it comes to cardboard, teeth, etc.)

Skippy is already a very happy little bun. Day one, naturally, he was traumatized and scared. And yet, still super cuddly. Every day there has been progress, and now? He willingly comes to me, he's content to sleep on my chest while I'm watching tv or working at the computer, and I've already been inducted into the grooming group. (Got a full face bath yesterday!) He is so very good natured, and I'm so happy to have him as part of my little fur family. But I thought joining a forum would be great as, like I said, I'm a new bunny mom, and I know information out there is so conflicting. So I wanted to find some experienced bunny parents to help shed some light on questions I might have, so Skippy has the best life possible.

Looking forward to diving in and meeting you all! :)
2q3omyb.jpg

Hi!!! What an adorable rabbit!!! I do believe that young rabbits should be eating alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets. I was told this is because they are higher in protein and growing bunnies need more! My rabbit is 8 months now so I am switching her over to timothy pellets and a different hay because if I fed her the alfalfa she would probably be getting too much protein at her age and would develop health problems. I've never had a rabbit as young as yours and I'm relatively new at rabbit keeping so others on this site will definitely provide better information than mine!!! Good luck!
ps. I was warned no greens, carrots etc. until much older as it causes runny poop and stomach upset!

Thank you for the welcome, guys! :)

Yes indeed, I have cut the carrots he was getting out of his diet, as I had read that he didn't need to be having those yet. So right now he gets hay and pellets. And he seems perfectly fine with that!

I'm also trying to identify breed. I thought he might be a Dutch, but then I saw a Rex that looks very similar to him marking-wise in the pet store! So now I'm unsure.

Welcome to RO! Very cute little guy. Sounds like he is adjusting well, and is happy in his new home. Nothing better than bunny kisses :)

He definitely has dutch markings. Not rex, rex have plush fur and short curly whiskers.

Back