New bunny mom to triplet girls - seeking input on CW cages +

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsb

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post.
Rehabbed pair of wild cottontails one of which was injured by neighborhood cat. The wild one healed and original tripled in size over past 6 weeks. Spoke with rehab center and will release both next Monday when weather stabilizes. In meantime, have pending adoption of 3 domestic Californian triplets who are almost a year old. Before ordering the most expensive part of their necessary supplies, I am seeking input on bunny home choice - We are thinking about a triple Bunny Villa from CW cages plus a 'run' of 48 inch tall play pen with door for easy access by me. I'd also appreciate any links to waterproof coverings you like for under the run to protect my carpet. Blessings to all who regularly post here. Your 'service' and input to others who are less experienced serves the bunny community well. Thank you!

For a fraction of the cost, you can just "build" a cube cage -- to just about any size/configuration. I'll include a sample photo of one I had awhile back. That one was, oh... maybe $50- $70 total in cost and more roomy than the Bunny Villa (and easier to maintain, I suspect).

As for flooring in the ex-pen, you can use a piece of rolled linoleum. I used a piece for the base floor of the cage in the photo. You could just get a larger piece for the run area. Once bunnies are potty trained, it won't be necessary.

Attachments

• IM000411.JPG
    IM000411.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 5
You could also consider skipping the "cage" and setup a run area that serves as their 'home.' For the cost of that Bunny Villa, it should be easy to do something similar to these (if you have the space).

Attachments

• cute indoor setup.jpg
    cute indoor setup.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2019-2-27_17-14-45.png
    upload_2019-2-27_17-14-45.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thank you! Your input is sparking ideas... LOVE the cute runs but also have 3 cats one of whom is a 'jumper' kitten so do not plan to let the bunnies out into an open run without supervision and am planning on the tallest run walls available at 48". Our only option for anything like what is pictured would be to create a room within a room enclosure with 6 foot high 'walls' or 'fencing' which would be more zoo like. That being said, one thing I had not considered was the pictured astroturf. That's interesting....

Great! I was hoping something there might open up ideas to new possibilities. :)
The astro turf, like many flooring options, would probably be on a case by case basis. What some rabbits won't bother, others will chew and possibly ingest.

Cube cages can be completely enclosed (re: cats) but the idea of a room within a room also sounds like it has fun possibilities.

There is also the possibility that you just may find that the cats won't be a bother to the rabbits. If so, you'll have even more options. There are quite a few RO members who have cats and rabbits together (they'll even lay snuggled up together). Though I realize this isn't always the case.

We don't have cats, but even dogs can often get along with free roam rabbits.1586539378731.png

Great! I was hoping something there might open up ideas to new possibilities. :)
The astro turf, like many flooring options, would probably be on a case by case basis. What some rabbits won't bother, others will chew and possibly ingest.

Cube cages can be completely enclosed (re: cats) but the idea of a room within a room also sounds like it has fun possibilities.

There is also the possibility that you just may find that the cats won't be a bother to the rabbits. If so, you'll have even more options. There are quite a few RO members who have cats and rabbits together (they'll even lay snuggled up together). Though I realize this isn't always the case.

We don't have cats, but even dogs can often get along with free roam rabbits.View attachment 46432
Cute photo! Thank you for the astro turf caution. I've also read about some chewing foam blocks too. I think your original suggestion of linoleum might be best if the x-pen is stable on top of it. Otherwise, I can try the water proof blanket idea although it would need to be washed weekly.
Again, much thanks!

Back