New bunny mom, HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypsos mom

Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a 6wk. old lop earbunny, the pet store gave me general info. but I still need to knowwhat to do so she does well can someone help me.

Hi there

6 weeks is really young for a mom baby to be seperated from it's mom.:? They aren't usually ready to go until 8 weeks. Doesn't reallysurprise me from a petstore tho. Go to www.Rabbits.org for lots ofexcellent information. Bunny should have unlimited pellets, unlimitedTimothy hay and water until I think it was 12 weeks then bunny can haveveggies but please read that site for all your information. There is agreat group of ppl in the chat there too =)
Have you named bunny yet ? Is it male or female ? =)

Nice to meet you
asherah

Congratulations Calypso's Mom,

Too much to answer when you pose the question like that. :)

Check out the post 'Have Question Help!!!'. It's got some basics inthere. Things get a little 'warm', but that's just because we'repassionate. (You've stumbled upon a wonderful group.) After that, checkout the others that catch your eye.

If you've read a post and have a question, reply and someone willcertainly get back to you. Sometimes the board moves fast, so ifsomeone doesn't, simply ask again.

If you have a question that isn't already addressed on the board, by all means, open a post and ask.

:)

I can assure you that we're all as excited and in love with you little lop and will do the best to help you in any way we can.

Welcome Aboard!

-Carolyn

Happy to have you here, sorry you got your bunfrom a pet store. Selling buns at 6 weeks is really toosoon,but that is pet stores for you. Responsible breedersonly wean their kits at six weeks and don't sell until 8 weeks, but petstores get their stock from "rabbit raisers" mostly, and unfortunatly,because they are weaned to early and sold at 6 weeks, many passaway.

Having said that. Get a good quality pellet food from a feedstore. Blue Seal, Purina, Agway and many others arefine. Protein should be 16%. Feed feed your bununtil 6 months old. Then weigh him and feed one ounce ofpellets for each pound of body weight. You can also get a boxof Old Fashioned Oats in the grocery store, any brand will do, so longas it is not Quick Oats. These can also be freefed. Timothy hay is a must. It keeps everythingmoving along inside your bun. It can be bought in cube form,great for one bun and keeps the mess of hay away. Water canbe from a bottle or crock. Fresh water should always beavailable.

You will need a cage with a drop pan underneath so that the bunny willnot be sitting in his urine and droppings. We use cheap kittylitter in our indoor bun's pan. Keeps the oder way down and is easy toclean as they usually go in one corner. SInce they nevertouch it, it is safe. Others use wooden stove pellets.

No veggies or fruit should be fed until after 6 months old and thensparingly as treats. They can really upset thetummy and cause runny and loose stools. Since he is so young,he should be inside until about 3-4 months old.

If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask. Hope he does well. Donna

Latest posts

Back