New bunny lunging and grunting when in his space

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had Crackerjack for2 weeks now. He is a 1 year old, neutered male, Holland Lop. I posted aweekago asking how to bond with him and described what type of home he came from. The short version of his story is that he was given to me by his previous owners, they had bought him for their 2 yr old daughter and now the husband is allergic, so they had to give him up. He has been staying in the bathroom until his x-pen comes in, which should be any day now. Everytime I go into the bathroom he runs to his bed and "hunkers" down. Then when I step too close to him he will lunge and grunt, he will also do this when I reach for his food bowl. If I reach to pet him he will flinch and turn his head away. He obviously doesn't trust me and I'm not so sure I trust him not to bite me. So, I'm not sure what to do or how to handle this situation.

Thanks so much

You're a good soul for taking him in!

I agree that he doesn't trust you yet. And he's definitely warning you to keep back. Maybe try putting a cardboard box in with him so he has a place to hide when you come around? Just make sure it has 2 openings so he feels like he has an escape route. And I definitely wouldn't attempt to touch him if he is that agressive. Maybe have a few bowls that you fill before you go in with him so he doesn't get too attached to any one bowl? Good luck! :)

There's a good guide on this forum for how to bond with your bunny :)
I think the main thing to remember is to not force it. Just sit there and read/go on the computer, and wait until they come up to you. Then just sit there still and let them check you out... they'll eventually get more and more used to your presence.

Also, I read that it can take days - months to develop a bond with a rabbit. Just remember that and stay patient :) I've had Buster for a little over 2 months now, and he's still not fully comfortable being around me even though I'm pretty much always in his room when I'm not out/working.

Good luck! :)

A place for him to hide sounds good. I wouldnt try too too much bonding until his xpen gets in. He's going to need to re-adjust to that living arrangement. With time and patience you will win his trust. Good luck!

Can we see pix of the bunny in question? :)

Latest posts

Back