New bunny has strange eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bunnyhold

Reaction score
We are brand new to bunny ownership. we got our bunnies today, one has a funky eye. They gave us eye drops, but they are just saline. Google seems to indicate this is worse than we were told. They said a scratch but his eye should be fine, we figured even if he were blind in one eye he will be fine here. I'm just not sure if I need to do anything more than drops. I don't even know if our vet sees rabbits. Any thoughts or advice?

image.jpg

Antibiotics right away. Sorry,don't remember the name of the eyedrops.

Looks like the nictitating membran is completly closed.

If the region around the eye is inflamed too Pepanthen Eye paste can sooth that, but get antibiotics started on the eye asap.

If the bunny gets blind on one eye, well, then it's just a special bunny.

Last edited:
That is not fine. Your rabbit likely has a corneal ulceration and a serious bacterial infection as a result. The white pus in the corner of the eye and the white in the eye are from bacteria. If not treated correctly, the infection could lead to needing surgery and complete eye removal. Your rabbit needs to be on antibiotic eye drops as well as rabbit safe systemic antibiotics. An anti inflammatory such as meloxicam, would also be appropriate.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Ulcer/Ulc_en.htm

If at all possible, it would be best to take your rabbit to a rabbit savvy vet, as cat and dog vets and inexperienced vets aren't likely to give your rabbit the appropriate treatment and may even give inappropriate treatment such as antibiotics that may not be safe for rabbits to have. If you want to list your general location someone may have a vet suggestion for you.

I probably shouldn't have taken him, but he is sweet and I worried he would have a bad fate if not. I'm going to try to get him in, looks like our vet is recommended in the forums at least. Any idea how much this will cost? My husband just wants to wait and see... I don't want him suffering.

If there are no complications and it only requires antibiotics, cost could be around $100-200, for the cost of the office visit(usually around $40-50), an eye stain to check for corneal ulceration, and meds, depending on what is found and what meds are prescribed. Meds will most likely be an antibiotic eye drop like gentamicin or ciprofloxacin, which is usually around $15 a bottle if you buy from the vet, and if oral antibiotics are needed then baytril or smz/tmp are the most commonly used, and they are usually around $15 for the smz/tmp and $30-50 for the baytril, though it depends on the size of your rabbit. The vet may want to just start out with the antibiotic eye drops and wait on prescribing oral antibiotics, depending on how the infection responds to the eye drops.

You are right that his fate would probably have ended in putting to sleep without the eye injury being treated. So getting him the correct treatment will certainly have saved this buns life.

Definitely don't wait and see. It is an infection and will get worse with no treatment, and could lead to needing more costly surgery if the infection is allowed to progress.

I also notice in the picture that there looks like there might be a bit of dandruff on your bun. If you look under the fur at the skin and this is the case, the vet should also probably treat for fur mites as well. Fur mites will cause dandruff and loss of fur to occur. Though this may just be how it looks in the picture and he may not have dandruff.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

I think you are right on the dandruff:/ these poor rabbits..

Thank you for the advice! I'll hopefully be able to get him in soon.

Let us know how he gets on at the vet.

OHMIGOD!!! Get him to a vet immediately.

*gives the bunny kisses and snuggles and carrots*

Post updates please.

My bunny had that and I got her to the vet right away and I got antibiotics for it.

Sitting and waiting when it's an eye problem is not a good thing to do at all unless you want to spend hundreds on an enucleation to remove the eye.

Eye problems can turn from bad to worse in a matter of hours. He really needs to be seen

Sorry I haven't updated. He has corneal ulcer but it looks like it's trying to heal. He's on antibiotics. He's a sweetie. Such a snuggler.

Latest posts

Back