New bunny friend for Rudey Roo?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalieb

Reaction score
Today I bumped into the breeder we got our first rabbit off, she's a continental giant and her breeder is lovely! Her bunnys are her pride and joy and we still keep in touch with photos ect!!
she told us that she has some bunnys ready in a few weeks - there french lop cross, their dad fancied a one night stand and dug his way into another pen!
She told us that due to the unexpected litter she wasn't really looking for much for them, more of them going to a good home as she cannot show them and will not be breeding from them.

She offered us a rabbit for free knowing that it would be going to a good home, if it was my decision only I would say yes straight away! I'd love a friend for Rudey!
My boyfriend is a little more unsure, I've tried explaining that rabbits prefer the company of other rabbits and she would probably love a furry friend.

She's already been nurtured around 4 weeks ago and breeding would never be something I would have considered, this is more about what would be best for Rudey, she's still only young - 6 month, if we do get another I'd prefer it to be when she's young and more accepting of another rabbit! (We would be getting a male)

What's people's views on getting a second rabbit? Pro's and con's ect

Thank you! 🐰

The fact that your girl is already spayed is definitely in your (and her) favor. That is important when it comes to bonding. It doesn't matter whether she is 6 months or 6 years. So long as she is spayed, bonding can happen. (ie, younger isn't any more of an advantage)

The only difficulty I see is that a new young bunny (whether male or female) will usually only get along with an adult until that young one's hormones become active. When that occurs, aggression or even fighting could occur between the two rabbits. If they are allowed to live together while the male is young, and you don't happen to be present when the aggression starts, it may prevent them from bonding in the future.

Until the male is also neutered, you won't know whether or not the two will get along and actually bond. (The "baby bond" doesn't count.) Even though she is fixed, he will need to be fixed also in order to rid him of pesky hormones.

So all that to say that if you do get one of those young males, be prepared to keep the two rabbits separate until he is old enough to fix and then wait around 4-8 weeks after surgery before introducing them. It may be possible, in the meantime, to keep their cages near (not touching) each other. Also know, that it is possible, after all that is done, that the two may not get along. Hopefully they will bond, but there is always the slight risk that they refuse to bond.

The cross-mix rabbits sound adorable. If you aren't set on getting one of those, but are more interested in a bondmate for your girl, there is a more sure way to find one. That way would involve going through a rabbit rescue and introducing your female to some other fixed rabbits. That way she can do the choosing as to who her bondmate may be. The rescues typically work with you to guide you and ensure that you wind up with a bonded pair. They will even allow an exchange of an attempted bun, if it just doesn't work out.

Bonding is never a sure thing and while some go easily and smoothly, others are nerve-wracking and difficult (or just don't work at all). So just be aware of the potential outcomes and be sure you are comfortable with those.

From my experience, only if they were babies when you got them together they bond. And oddly I know people say boys fight which they do without enough space, but I find the girls are more agro about their space and defensive.

Latest posts

Back