new bunny behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonb1515

Reaction score
We got a cute little female holland lop...She is 14 weeks old. We got her 2 weeks ago..She seems extremely nervous. When u try to take her out of her cage she tries to run away...When u are holding her she is very jumpy and will try to jump out of your hands. She will do strange quick movements at times like you startled her...Any suggestions to help her be more comfortable?

Try waiting for her to approach you. Set her cage up so that she can come out on her own into a pen or rabbit safe room. I like to sit on the floor reading or doing something else quietly (maybe with some tasty treats nearby) and wait for them to come to me. She probably wasn't handled much as a baby and she'll have to get used to it.

Some rabbits really don't like to be held and while I do recommend that you get comfortable picking up and restraining any pet rabbit in case of an emergency, if she really doesn't like it it's best not to stress her out.

Thanks...I do kneel down and talk to her at eye level. Her cage is on a table. She comes over and loves to be pet and rub noses...Just freaks when you want to take her out...Thanks for the advice..

I can handle mine with ease when I need to, but I find they dislike being picked up from inside their condo - it's easier for me to encourage them to leave the condo on their own and pick them up once they've exited. I second the advice to set things up so she can exit the cage on her own, then play with her once she gets out.

I agree with the others that a bunny should be permitted to come out of her cage of her own free will and not forced out by our big human hands. I like to view their cage as their space, their safety zone, so to speak.

Waiting for bunny to approach you on her terms is a great way for her to learn to trust you and to see that you are "safe." I'd even suggest that when she first approaches, that you resist the urge to reach out and pet her. Wait a bit before doing so, again, so she sees you as trustworthy.

Your patience will reap rewards.

Latest posts

Back