new bunny and some questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgrl

Reaction score
ok i just got a rex, not sure if its a mini, or regular rex, but just got like 1 hour ago. i put some hay and water in there with him, along with some food shut the door and am letting him get his bearings and get settled, how long should i leave him alone for? i have a dog, when should i start, and how should i start the introduction? i will read posts on that just thought i should ask anyway, my dog is a dachshund btw. i cant think of any other questions right now but im sure i will have some.

Speeking from personal experience I would NEVER introduce the bunny to the dachshund. I have dachshunds. Mine are proven killers of my rabbits and my chickens. Take my advice, DO NOT introduce the dog to the rabbit. Dachshunds are breed to kill small animals.

Leaving him alone just depends on how he reacts to people. If he seems shy and skittish, you'll probably need to give him plenty of time to feel safe and comfortable around you. But if he seems friendly and comfortable around you, and seems calm when you touch or hold him, he would probably do better if you spend more time with him now. If he's used to people and likes them, it would probably be more comforting to him to be around you.

Hi and welcome to RO!

Do you have him in a cage or pen or free roaming in a room? Personally I'd leave him alone for a day or so to get used to his new area and then expand to letting him out from there.

Whether or not to, and how to, introduce your do to the rabbit depends a lot on the dog and how he reacts to other small animals.

right now he is in a cage, but with time i think he will be 90% free roaming, except at night since his area is in the bedroom with me, and my dog sleeps with me he will have to be in his cage.
i will leave him alone for a few to let him get settled. my dog does really good around other small animals, he was friends with my old roomates cat.

Latest posts

Back