New Bunny.....A Big One!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dia

Reaction score
About a week back I got word of someone getting rid of a rabbit because someone was allergic to it....

I told my friend who works at a Vet's office (she knew the girl getting rid of the rabbit) that I would take him because I had room for one more. I didn't know anything about him until a few days before getting him. It turned out that he was an all black Flemish Giant. He is between 11 and 13 pounds I would say, but kind of over weight. Of course the diet he is on now is horrible and I plan on changing it slowly.

Anyone have any advice for me? I have never owned this breed before and have read quiet a bit about them. He is REALLY friendly. So far he has only had a few "accidents" and tried to eat some of my carpet twice, but I expected a few issues at least for the first few months since I do not know to much of his history. He was checked out by a Vet already and they said he looks good, except for being a little overweight.

I will post pictures later :)

There are many flemish owners on this fourm. I have one and i love the breed they are more like dogs then rabbits. If you have breed questions i would ask Wabbitdad12 or BlueGiants.

Uh 13lbs is small for a flemish. Flemish can way up to 20lbs sometimes alittle more. A female flemmie needs to usually be atleast 14lbs to breed. Could you post a picture?

we took in a rescue from the Lodi shelter as they are a horrible place--they don't have facilities for rabbits and won't keep them for very long. She was really skinny--weighed 7 pounds and we were told she was full grown. Turned out to be a Checkered Giant--now weighs 17 pounds and is the sweetest bunny we've ever had the pleasure of serving. Good luck and start reading.

JadeIcing wrote:
Uh 13lbs is small for a flemish. Flemish can way up to 20lbs sometimes alittle more. A female flemmie needs to usually be atleast 14lbs to breed. Could you post a picture?

I will post a picture as soon as I get home. I am at work now. Maybe he is a mix of a Flemish and something? I just know he is BIG....I have him in a dog crate now because that's what he came in. I plan on giving him free roam as soon as he gets used to things.....i feel bad keeping him in a cage.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
we took in a rescue from the Lodi shelter as they are a horrible place--they don't have facilities for rabbits and won't keep them for very long. She was really skinny--weighed 7 pounds and we were told she was full grown. Turned out to be a Checkered Giant--now weighs 17 pounds and is the sweetest bunny we've ever had the pleasure of serving. Good luck and start reading.
I took this one because I didn't want it to end up at the shelter....he is 3 years old I am told, so he is full grown. He is very sweet....and I don't mind the size of him though he is MUCH bigger than my other 6 rabbits i have, which are Mini Rex & Mini Lops.

He could be on the small side my new girl is a young flemmie who we think has a bit of growing left in her but still be on the small side.

I wish I could get a giant bunny - it would be a hilarious foil to my two small bunnies!

Here are the pics -

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

he doesnt look pure flemish, so def mixed with something. but a handsome boy!!

and flemish are great, really no different care wise than other bunnies cept more space a bit more food, lol.

I'm guessing she's still young - but that sounds about right for her weight - my 7 month old flemmies are around 11 pounds and I expect them to probably hit 18 pounds before they're fully grown.

I love flemish - I've had them for over 3 years and now breed them.

TinysMom wrote:
I'm guessing she's still young - but that sounds about right for her weight - my 7 month old flemmies are around 11 pounds and I expect them to probably hit 18 pounds before they're fully grown.

I love flemish - I've had them for over 3 years and now breed them.
The lady that was getting rid of him told my friend that he was about 3 or 4, so I would assume that he is fully grown.

Seras wrote:
If you have breed questions i would ask Wabbitdad12 or BlueGiants.

Just as a note - I've had flemmies for almost 5 years now and will be breeding them as soon as my girls get big enough.

I also have Zeus - a flemish giant mix.

fuzz16 wrote:
he doesnt look pure flemish, so def mixed with something. but a handsome boy!!

and flemish are great, really no different care wise than other bunnies cept more space a bit more food, lol.

I agree....he doesn't look like a pure one. Even though the lady that got rid of he says he was....i still think he is a mix of some kind, but definatley part Flemish.

He really is great. His name was Domnick, so I am going to keep calling him that because when I say his name, I see him get excited, so there is no point in changing his name.

Right now he is in a huge dog kennel that has taken over a large part of my kitchen. I didnt want to put him in the other room with all the rabbits yet because I don't want to freak him out. When he gets more used to his surroundings, I will let him run free because he is to big to be in a cage.

TinysMom wrote:
Seras wrote:
If you have breed questions i would ask Wabbitdad12 or BlueGiants.

Just as a note - I've had flemmies for almost 5 years now and will be breeding them as soon as my girls get big enough.

I also have Zeus - a flemish giant mix.
I have always wanted one. I had read about them a while ago and I thought I would wait until I got a house and had more space, but it didn't quite work out that way. And since this one needed a home.....I gave him one. Little by little the rabbits are taking over my apartment. :biggrin2:

From what I remember - not all flemish grow to be "big" like you see in shows. My Tiny was purebred flemish - but he was about 13 pounds when he died. I think he made it up to about 15 pounds or so at one point and when he was weighed shortly before he died we were stunned to realize he'd lost some weight in the last year.

Rabbits taking over the apartment isn't so bad - wait till they take over your sanity too! :D

He's so pretty and he really does have that flemish look about him, especially in the head and ears. Congrats!

Congrats! What a handsome guy! I love black flemish! I have several flemish and I love the breed. He will probably weigh even more, most of my flemish average around 17 pounds.

Latest posts

Back