New Bunnies :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimpy810

Reaction score
So, we are the proud new owners of two very adorable baby bunnies (see introduction post)

I've noticed that Oreo actually seems protective of Sox. We got the bunnies from a farm about a week ago. I swear, there must have been about 20-30 bunnies in that barn. They did come from separate hutches within the barn.

The question I have, is this protectiveness for each other normal? Whenever we take Sox out of the cage to play or cuddle, Oreo seems jumpy and will stand on his hind legs as if he's looking for her. When we put them back together, they will spend afew minuteslicking eachother. I've read that licking is a good thing, means they are happy and bonded. Thing is... Oreo will also lick us when we take him out of the cage. It's wierd, but seems to have happened very fast (if they are bonded). Any thoughts?

they most likely are bonded but you should keep your eyes open. bonded rabbits do this a lot but it is also a mating ritual that many rabbits perform. you should make sure the rabbits are the same sex. i thought my mini rex gizmo was a boy until about 6 months ago because it is really hard to tell when they are young unless you have practise. i suggest you find a way to make sure they are the same sex. even though they are young, they may try to mate when they reach the age. however, it could and most likely is that they are bonded. rabbits are a lot like people and they form bonds with certain other rabbits very easily. hope this helps!!! good luck

I have a bonded pair with one being angora, so I have to brush him frequently. Whenever Houdini is up on the grooming table I have Cinderella, his bunwife, buzzing around my ankles until I give him back. They then rub against eachother and groom for a few minutes. It looks like they have been seperated for months the way they are so happy when I put him down. They were an "instant bond" when they met. There's nothing like a pair in love. :)

I agree with the others that a vet or experienced person should sex them. They breed much younger than you think they could and you wouldn't want an accidental litter. In my personal opinion, spaying and neutering is a must for pet rabbits. It makes them so much happier and healthier. :)

I would agree that they are bonded. Mine behave like this and they are 5 yrs old (both spayed/neutered). They are always very concerned about each other. One is angora and needs frequent grooming; whenever I groom her, the other always appears acutely aware, "supervising" the whole process.

I had to laugh tonight. I went out with some treats for cuddle time and, of course, when I put them back for the night they started grooming each other like crazy. I wonder if they are trying to get my scent off them... not that I stink... cuz I do shower everyday... ah heck, you guys know what I mean lol. Anyway, it struck me that it could be a funny possibility.

Right now, I'm trying to train them to go in a pan. The dimensions of the hutch that hubby built are this...Total length is 6 feet. The open area, with wire for a bottom, is 4' x 2' plus a 2' x 2' enclosed area. Well, I thought they would just go through the cage and it would all end up on the ground to be raked up, no such luck. They are pooping in their 2x2 enclosure (who knew bunnies wanted privacy for that lol) So today, when DD and I cleaned the hutch, I found a plastic pan, put what I'm using for litter in it, along with the few poops they had dropped while we were cleaning and woohoo! They are going in the pan, for the most part. What wasn't in the pan, when I went out for cuddle time, I just scooped into the pan so they would hopefully get the hint. Sox looked veeerrrry insulted by this, so I'm guessing that corner must have been her spot. The pan that I have doesn't quite go from one side of the hutch to the other. I may have to get a bigger pan lol.

These bunnies have been so much fun. I swear I'm more attached to them now than the kids are :)

I just ordered some 12" x 18" straw mats for the wire area of the cage for their little feet.

I agree that they could be bonded, but I would still keep a close on them. If they are the same sex, things could turn hairy once they reach some sort of sexual maturity. We had our buns in the same cage for the first month or so that we had them, until they decided that they had had enough of each other and had a fight. If you can get them fixed before this sort of thing happens, you'll have a decent chance of them keeping that bond. I'm not saying it will, but it's possible.

Back