New Bunnies On Their Way!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine at sacred stories

Reaction score
I've adopted two of the shelter bunnies that are travelling from Palm City, FL to homes as far north as New York. They are scheduled to arrive at my home in Virginia on Sunday, July 22. Like everyone, I'm holding them all in my thoughts and wishing them a safe and peaceful trip!

My bunnies are both a year old, one is male and the other female. Both have been neutered/spayed. One was rescued from a petting zoo (the female-called Petta). The other-called Brownie--was in pretty bad shape when he was dropped off in the night box of the shelter. They say he was covered in ant bites, in a small cage with urine soaked napkins in the bottom, and eating "pine tree air fresheners" that had been hung around the cage. After he was treated by the Humane Society, however, he seems "super happy" and friendly.

I've read the articles in the Library but I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has for how to help these two settle in after their early life experiences and their long trip. I would also appreciate any suggestions on helping them to bond. At first, I will keep them confined in my "bunny room" but, after that, I hope they will be able to free range my bunny proofed house.

Have the area set up for them. Put litter in the litter box, water in the bowl, hay somewhere etc. You don't want to be messing around in the cage too much once they are there. They should be coming with some pellets they are used to, so you will need to give pellets once they are home, but also buy whatever you want to use and have that ready. For veggies, hold off until they are a bit more settled and you can get info on what they are used to eating.
Don't expect to do too much with them the first few days. While each rabbit is different and some take moving better than others, you don't want to be adding extra stress by handling them all the time. You can sit in the room and let them come to you if you want.
In the area, have soft bedding and even a cat bed if possible (not all rabbits will use them though). Toys, boxes and a place to hide can be helpful as well.

Since you are getting them from a rescue, ask what food they have been fed, if they use bottles or bowls for water, what the litter boxes are like and other questions about how they are housed and their routine. Even knowing how much they get fed and when is helpful. Also ask about veggies, especially what kinds are usually fed.

Are they bonded? If so, keep them together but watch them as some have issues after moving. If they are not bonded, then keep them separated (at least a barrier between them). If you want to bond them, then you can work on that as they get settled in.

I'm sure it will take them some time to adjust, maybe being docile at first. then testing limits. But you'll do fine & I'm so glad you felt now was the time to take in these rabbits that needed someone right now.

Normally I read Watership Down to new buns as they settle in. They tend to be sitting on me and ready for pets by the time I finish the book. In this case I'm going to read the Bunnicula serries to them, perhaps it will help Bunnicula learn her name? Hopefully it won't confuse Panda. :)

I can't wait until they get home! I'm a bit nervous about the cats though. I set up the new NIC pens in the kitchen and the rabbits will be able to get up onto the wide window sills to look out into the garden. The only problem may be that the cats love to do that too. Hopefully they work things out quickly and with minimal stress. At least the cats are already used to rabbits in the house and very good with them.

MiniLopHop--I love the idea of reading to them...and I've never read "Watership Down"--believe it or not--so maybe it's time.

I can't wait until they're all safely in their forever homes, too. Not just mine but all of them. I know our little "voyagers" are strong and have some powerful angels on their side:) (You're one of them.) If they only knew how many people are pulling for them and thinking about them. May their journey will be peaceful and happy.

It amazed me how well Scout got along with my cat, Gracie. Gracie still seems to be looking for Scout after three months! She goes into the bunny room and looks under the table and in the boxes. But I'm going to keep Gracie separate from the new bunnies at first...

I'll be going out to get veggies and fruit and will pick up a copy of Watership Down.

Watership Down is a great book! I like it even more now that I have rabbits than when I read it in HS. The rabbit behavoir is so accurate. The author must have abserved rabbits a lot before writing the book. That is what I read to the SPCA buns too, somehow I think they prefer books about rabbits.

Poor Gracie. I'm sure she will be happy to have buns in the house again. One of mine, Victoria, is 11 so she just ignores the rabbits in general. Andre, loves to play. He will lay and groom them too. Gary in particular loves to play chase with the cat. They will go all over the house, up and down the steps at full speed until they both tumble into a pile and go to sleep. The rabbit will taunt the cat into the race, and they take turns who is in the lead, so I know it is a game. Somehow Andre knows he can't chase the other rabbits like that because it scares them.

Amazing...it's so good for the cats and bunnies to get that exercise! Must be really fun to watch.

When I got Scout, she was a baby and Gracie was a kitten. They were about the same size. They really bonded but Scout was the boss. And Gracie adopted rabbit behaviors that she still has today:) She scoots under and digs in sheets the way Scout did. She tears and eats paper and card board and wants to sleep and dig in the hay boxes. She eats hay:)

Oh, well...what can you expect? She was raised by a rabbit!

ROFL Andre eats hay too!
100_0020.jpg

Latest posts

Back