New Bunnies - advise please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HipHoppy

Reaction score
I posted that our rabbit died yesterday. I know it seems quick but we're already planning to by two baby rabbits. The issue that caused our rabbits death is being sorted (laurel tree from next door).

The rabbits will, most likely, be dwarf lops.

We haven't bought two together before. What do you suggest? Two girls, two boys or one of each. They'll be neutered as soon as possible.

We also want a pet insurance plan. Can anyone suggest a suitable, good rabbit one?

Can two small bunnies be kept in a standard indoor cage to sleep/eat/litter train (plus plenty of run around time when they'll be out of the cage) for a week? Until they go outside? Or is the space too limiting even for those shorter spells of time?

My mum had a boy rabbit who was perfect, then a girl rabbit that was viscous and protective. She also had a problem where mum had to clean the poo off her rear daily. Not pleasant! Is that a common female thing?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you.

I would get a boy and a girl. It's a more natural bond, as typically two brothers like to fight, as do two sisters. My brother/sister pair are absolutely adorable, and while Ellie is snappy to us, she is a sweetheart to Butterscotch. Being territorial is definitely a girl thing.

Have you considered adoption? They would already be fixed and because both would be coming home to a new place the bonding might be easier rather than getting them young, waiting weeks until their hormones die down and then risking it (the bond may not work). My two are from the Edmonton humane society and I am just so pro adoption.

here is my girl ( white n black ) and boy ( brown and white ) and if they were like the same sex, I would say that they would/ will have hiccup(s) along the way =0/

they can not get enough of each other =0)

( sorry about the picture quality )

Image0.jpg

I second adopting a bonded pair if there is one available at your local shelter. This is the easiest way and cheapest to get two bunnies.

A male and female do usually bond easier together as it is the most natural. however they must be separated at 12 weeks of age and spayed/neutered in order for the bond to be real. If they are not altered an accidental litter will definitely be in your future which is not always a happy ending.

Read up on bonding. Same Sex bonds can be made although they can be more difficult. If they are same Sex then you'll want to get rabbits of a similar disposition.

Latest posts

Back