New Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloveme88999

Reaction score
Hey everyone! When I return home from Europe I’m adopting this bun from the shelter I work at, I’ve done plenty of research so I know lots about rabbits but I still have a few questions if anyone could answer them for me.

1 - What is the best brand of rabbit hay? Is there one? Does it matter?

2 - What type of pellets do you use? I’m planning on getting the Oxbow pellets in bulk from Walmart and I’m hoping that that’s the best.

3 - Does anyone else use a large dog crate as a home for their babies? That’s what I’m planning on getting and I wanted to double check that that’s a good choice.

4 - What are some final facts that I should know about bringing my baby home and what can I do to help her feel most comfortable and adjusted?

Thanks and bunch in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The brand of hay isn't as important as how long it has been bagged. A good brand that's been sitting on a store shelf for too long may not be as good as on off brand that is fresher. You'll have to look at what the stores have and avoid any that add stuff like dried fruit.

I prefer to get my hay locally from a feed store. It is infinitely cheaper. I buy a bale but some places sell half bales.

Oxbow is considered a decent brand. You can see other options here.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
Of course you'll have to transition your new bunny slowly to any new pellet type.

XL dog crates can be used as a cage. Some members here on RO use them. It's a good idea to get an x-pen also for more permanent space around the crate.

As for when you actually bring your rabbit home- good for you to even consider asking about that transition. I explain that very process here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html

Be sure to post pictures of your bunny when you get him.

If you aren't driving home I would put it on your ches5 so it can bond with you

Sadly there’s been some interference with scheduling so I am unable to adopt a bun until September 6th. That works out as it gives me enough time to gather all the supplies so I’m not too upset but I am worried that my chosen bun won’t be avilable in a month. If she is, then it’s meant to be. If she’s not, then it’s not. Hopefully it works out :)

Latest posts

Back