new babies.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlenenicole

Reaction score
My rabbit just gave birth to 4 little ones....sheis a first time mommy...they are now 3 days old and looking prettygood. Anybody have any advice for me?:)

Welcome Aboard!

Make sure the babies are in the nest and not on the wire. Ifthey're on the wire, pick them up and put them in the nest so that thedoe will take care of them and they'll stay warm.

The doe usually feeds their kits (baby rabbits) once a day and it'susually at dawn (5:00 a.m. or so). Each morning, especially,check the litter to make sure all the babies look like they'veswallowed golf balls or have big round bellies. If theyappear wrinkled, the doe isn't feeding them and you'll have to help out.

Don't be afraid to touch the babies. The doe won't abandonthem because you've handled them. Give her a little treatbefore you do, and she should be fine. Keep her feed bowlfilled and always have fresh water waiting for her.

It's important to check the babies in case one falls out of the nest, the doe isn't feeding them, or one passes on.

Congratulations and I hope all is going well. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Hey thanks for the advice. I am a new rabbitowner and i can take all the advice i can get. I also have the malethat i got neutered about a week after i got them, (last month) is itokay to let him out with the babies?I keep them in the house in toseperate cages. I have always let them out to play together up until igot the four little suprises!!

Hi Darlenenichole,

I honestly don't know. I think part of it depends on the buck'spersonality. I'd keep a careful eye on the doe because his presencemight make her uneasy.

You could try it in small intervals and see how it goes with close supervision.

-Carolyn

Thanks again Carolyn, i will make sure i put uppictures of the new babies. They were such a suprise to me. And iknowi cant afford to keep them but i love them more and moreeveryday. :)I was totally unprepared for them. I just woke upone morning and went to clean out her cage and suprise, there was 4little ones underneath the newspaper. At least now i know where i cangeta lot of advice from!! Thank you.

hello my bunny had 5 babies on 8th july and itsvery exiting to watch them grow.the little ones have all started eatingmums food and exploring the hutch which is 2teir they get down butcan't get back up they don't care they just find a corner and go tosleep.i just wish the children would leave them alone but no chancewith the school holidays the babies don't seem to mind

good luck Denise

Thank you denise, i have pics on my "New Girl"thread if you would like to take a look. They are just now starting toget their coat. Now i cant wait until they open their eyes!! When didyours open their eyes? (mine are now 6 days old)

Latest posts

Back