New (and unexpected) Bun Momma! Hallo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloop

Reaction score
Hallo all!

So I have a bit of a story to tell, and I have to say this morning I wasn't expecting to be joining a rabbit forum nor be a rabbit momma.

I was driving to Home Depot to pick up more 99 cent tubs for my mealworm colony I have for my geckos, when I noticed a box on the side of the road with the words 'FREE' on it. Now, I see this more than I like to, and it was so close to the road that I was worried whatever was inside might get out and go right into the road for an untimely death, not to mention become dehydrated as is very warm today.

Needless to say, I pulled over and went right to the box to check inside, hoping to find nothing, but instead found a small, black rabbit, curled up against the corner. I moved to gently pick it up and was happy it didn't kick or scratch at me, instead tucking itself up against me. I have to say it was my instinct to check around to make sure there weren't anymore and then got to my car to put a towel in one of my larger bins and drove right to the pet store to get supplies for the little cutie.

With help from an employee (who id'd the lil bun as a boy) I grabbed food (Timothy hay and pellets) and a water bottle and took it right home to make a quick cage which I found on this page:

http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html (this was a great source)

I took a couple pictures of him tearing into the timothy hay (attached) and I am more than open to any help for taking care of him. He is also drinking very well and seems very active with hopping around his new enclosure.

20131006_134342.jpg

20131006_134335.jpg

Hi there and welcome to RO!

Are you planning on keeping him or looking to find him a new home? If it's the latter you can post in our rescue me section.

One major thing you're missing is a litter box of some sort. Rabbits are very easy to litter train as they like to go in one corner anyway. I use a pine or paper pelleted cat litter for my buns but there are lots of rabbit-safe options and you can even just use newspaper if that's something you have a lot of.

Hi there and welcome to RO!

Are you planning on keeping him or looking to find him a new home? If it's the latter you can post in our rescue me section.

One major thing you're missing is a litter box of some sort. Rabbits are very easy to litter train as they like to go in one corner anyway. I use a pine or paper pelleted cat litter for my buns but there are lots of rabbit-safe options and you can even just use newspaper if that's something you have a lot of.

I fully intend on keeping him. He is just too cute and I think I can provide him with a lot of love and care.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will make him up a litter box for him and read up on box training.

New pic with a temporary litter box. The bits in it I put there to try to encourage him to use it.

20131006_145946.jpg

Welcome!! Thanks for saving the little guy by the way. I can think of far too many ways for him to have died if you wouldn't have gotten him.

Make sure when you actually get a litter box to keep all hay in it. Rabbits like to eat where they poop. I also learned some rabbits like to pee right after they drink (Harper) so putting a water bottle over the litter box may also help litter habbits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Good on you for giving him a good home :) With the water bottle, make sure he is actually drinking from it, it's possible he may not have used one before and if so, he may not know how to use it, in which case you will need to switch to a ceramic bowl instead.

What sort of pellets did you buy? Are they alfalfa or timothy based? If they're alfalfa based you'll want to switch to ones that are timothy based because adult rabbits can't process the calcium from the alfalfa as well.

The only other things you're missing are a hiding place (a carboard box with a hole in the side works well) and some toys, an old white pages (cover ripped off) to shred, or some toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay. If you add in a box, you may also need to add a roof or higher sides in case he jumps over the panels from the top of the box.

:)

Good on you for giving him a good home :) With the water bottle, make sure he is actually drinking from it, it's possible he may not have used one before and if so, he may not know how to use it, in which case you will need to switch to a ceramic bowl instead.

What sort of pellets did you buy? Are they alfalfa or timothy based? If they're alfalfa based you'll want to switch to ones that are timothy based because adult rabbits can't process the calcium from the alfalfa as well.

The only other things you're missing are a hiding place (a carboard box with a hole in the side works well) and some toys, an old white pages (cover ripped off) to shred, or some toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay. If you add in a box, you may also need to add a roof or higher sides in case he jumps over the panels from the top of the box.

:)

I purchased Kaytee brand Alfalfa Free Timothy Pellets. They are supposed to be fortified too if that changes anything.

I am actually in the process of making little toilet roll toys for him but I love the other suggestions too!

What a cute little bunnywunny! It warms my heart to know that there are people like you out there :)

Have you picked out a name?

Can you share a photo of just the rabbit? He actually looks really small and if he's a young bunny, a higher protein pellet (like an alfalfa-based one) would be good for him to keep him growing.

Can you share a photo of just the rabbit? He actually looks really small and if he's a young bunny, a higher protein pellet (like an alfalfa-based one) would be good for him to keep him growing.

Here are a few more pictures. Let me know if you need specific angles or anything.

20131006_172400.jpg

20131006_172313.jpg

20131006_172257.jpg

He's adorable.

I would look into expanding the cage, but for now it is enough room. As he gets bigger, a bigger cage is a good idea.

A real litter box is also a good idea. Cardboard just won't last long. A cat box will work well, but any plastic tub can work.

I like to use a water dish. Rabbits do tend to drink more from a dish than from a bottle. Water bottles can leak and some get stuck, so it can be good to have a back up.

You're right, he does look quite young so alfalfa pellets are the best thing for him at the moment. What a cutie :D

He's adorable.

I would look into expanding the cage, but for now it is enough room. As he gets bigger, a bigger cage is a good idea.

A real litter box is also a good idea. Cardboard just won't last long. A cat box will work well, but any plastic tub can work.

I like to use a water dish. Rabbits do tend to drink more from a dish than from a bottle. Water bottles can leak and some get stuck, so it can be good to have a back up.

I am going to expand the cage and add levels to it as he gets bigger but I want him to just get used to me first. So far he has been making good use of the water bottle, so I will keep an eye on it, and if it seems he isn't getting enough I will definitely get another bowl for him.

I am going to invest in a plastic litter box, I would rather have something easy to clean, and not have him eating his poo box instead of using it. XD

He really loves jumping into the extra 6 quart tub I have hay in for him and just nibbling away at the hay. He is just most adorable little cutie.

I only use a water bottle with Harper BC she's big enough that she drinks all the water from it everyday so it gets cleaned everyday and BC she was peeing where she drunk. My other 2 rabbits have bowls. They probably drink the same amount I guess it just depends on your rabbit. You just have to make sure they're getting the proper amount of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Congrats on being a new mummy!

Why would someone leave a baby bunny on the side of a road? Or any animal for that matter? 😢

I'm glad he had you driving by! He is adorable. If you're looking for basic info on what to feed, how to bunny proof your place etc try rabbit.org pretty good starting point.

I like the oxbow brand for pellets (but my bunny doesn't really lol still trying to him use to it) because they're created by vets and they have special ones for young rabbits.

So one thing that I've learnt recently that I wish I had known earlier when my bun was still a kid is dry baths. Use pure cornstarch for wet poops or poops that stick to his fur and if he pees himself. And just brush it out. It keeps the area dry and deodorizes. Here's a pic of what I use

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1381179058.082803.jpg

All the best!

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

An update:

I have named the little boy Inkblot or "Inky" for short.
He has a plastic litter box which he is using very well.
He is an escape artist! I woke up this morning, watching him run back into his pen as though nothing ever happened.
I made him some toys which I put a small apple skin treat inside to make him engage with it.
He looooves apple skin treats. I only give him a bit, to encourage him to come closer to me.

Reactions: rew
Back