New addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msprz75

Reaction score
I just got a new puppy. Haven't brought it home yet. A 7 month old shorkie. What's the best way to introduce it to my rabbit?

Very carefully, make sure you have a few people there just in case the puppy decides to do something, most likely it will only want to play and not attack the bunny but hold the bunny next to the puppy and let them see eachother and see what the reactions are, you will be Tell if somethings gonna happen.

My kitty and bunny get along. I always watch them because sometimes my bun (Boo) will move suddenly and I see my cats (Bandit) eyes light up lol. But I just say be nice bandit and she calms down. They were better friends when the bunny was a baby (cat was here first and the bunny was smaller than her, now the same size) they would hop around together and have so much fun.
I would say be careful and maybe hold the puppy back. You might even want to wait to have them together fully until the puppy matures a bit, might be too energetic.

I believe 7 months is past the teething stage. That is the time during puppyhood that one needs to keep bunny away because puppy wants to chew everything - including bunny ears! It doesn't sound like you'll need to worry about that.

I've used a specific method to train my dogs to get along with my rabbits. I go over it in detail at my site.

Holding a dog back and then releasing is usually how one trains a dog to go after something, so I would advise against doing that. My site explains in more detail.
http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html

Thanks for the website Blue Eyes. I read and it makes sense. I posted this question and forgot that I have a friend/co-worker that is a certified dog trainer. This is aligned with what she said. I'm actually more concerned about my fearless rabbit being the aggressor. He has been in company of dogs before.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Latest posts

Back