Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester1_andblueberry

Reaction score
I've been wanting looking into vets to neuter my rabbits like a week or 2 ago I looked into a vet that helped my dog after he got hit by a car and the car took off -_- *he's fine though* but they charge $1,000 +80 for the consultation I dont even know for the med because after I heard 1,000 I was like *hang up*so Ive recently been wanting to look into vets to neuter my rabbits because I don't want them to not want to be with each other after mr.blueberrys hormones kick in so Tommorow I'm going to try and find a cheaper vet but good enough for my standards..but I have a few questions..Will they be the same after the neuter? Do they have to be seperated after the neuter? If so for how long? What do I do after? will they still act the same to each other after? Thanks! XOXO Chester and blueberry *ps.the buns wanted to add today was their first official day outside!!yay!!..and 5min after I left a cat was in my yard smelling for my buns :eek: but luckily they were already inside because Chester was a bad boy and left the border I left for them!*

You need to separate them for up to 5 weeks and may need to re bond. They will be the same but might be a little different the first couple of days after being neutered. :) good luck

Just trying to get the story straight. I believe you have a 9 month old male that needs to be neutered. Is that correct? Once he's fixed, he should be feeling better in a very short time. The hormones, however, can take from 4-8 weeks to fully dissipate. He is still fertile immediately after surgery and for a short while. During the 8 weeks after surgery, he should be kept separate from any other rabbit.

What about your second rabbit? Did you get that 8 week old female? She should not be interacting with the male at all right now. Normally vets like to wait until a female is 5-6 months of age before doing a spay. Some vets will do them earlier, but you'd have to call around and find out. Spays are more invasive, (and often more expensive) so you'll want a rabbit savvy vet who knows what he/she is doing.

After her spay, she should have about a month alone before bonding begins.

Rabbits that are pre-hormonal are never considered bonded. So their current behavior toward each other is not indicative of how they will remain. Once hormones kick in, all that will change anyway. It isn't until after hormones that their true personalities reveal themselves.

So keeping rabbits separated after their surgeries is not going to have a negative impact on their relationship. Quite the contrary. By being apart, they are prevented from having hormonal aggression or fighting. This prevention increases their chances of bonding later.

Just know that while vets may be great at fixing rabbits, they are very seldom knowledgeable about the intricacies of bonding rabbits. Often they wrongly advise clients to put the two rabbits together right away after surgery. This is never a good idea and can have disastrous results. It is best for the rabbits to stay apart until those hormones have fully dissipated. Otherwise those hormones can interfere with the bonding process and possibly cause enough hard-feelings to prevent a future bond.

Okay thanks everyone and the 2nd bun is a boy :) I will in fact keep them seperated can I just neuter one instead or I should do both? *if only 1 it'll be the older male* and he will still have to seperated is right?

If you want to bond them, you'll need to neuter both. There are never any guarantees that two bunnies will bond, but having them both fixed greatly increases the chances.

Yes, still separate them because those hormones can cause issues.

Latest posts

Back