Neutering???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramel17

Reaction score
Well, I have a question, all of my rabbits are outside rabbits and I keep them in individual cages, and I know there are a lot of people out there against that, but anyways, so, I was wondering what are the benefits of neutering a rabbit if they are an outside rabbit and don't interact with any other rabbits unless I of course have them do that? I can't neuter my rabbits because in order to show them at our fair for 4-H they can't be spayed of neutered. It was just a question out of curiosity.

For your situation if you didn't show them there isn't really a reason to neuter them. I had a house bunny. Neutering him definitely curbed any desire to hump me which was really annoying. It also made him much less stinky. His urine wasn't as strong and I was able to clean his tray one or twice a week without a noticeable smell

Well, if you wern't showing them, like said above, it would help stop spraying, humping, etc. But also, for does, it would reduce the risk of mammary and uterine cancer which is a big deal. However, I've had multiple outside buns for years who did wonderfully and were unaltered. Since Ripley has become an inside bun and was neutered though, there's been an amazing change in his behaviour and I'll never have another unaltered one. Also, it helps because they keep their cage so much cleaner and have better litter habits.

With bucks, the main reasons to neuter are behaviour and breeding.
Many behaviours that intact males can display are not really great for indoor pets. They tend to hump, spray and are really 'lovey' to the point of getting annoying. Litter box habits can be iffy. Some can be aggressive or territorial as well, but most are not. Most people don't like to be sprayed daily, humped and have a rabbit running through their feet all the time. Neutering will usually stop most if not all these behaviours and usually improves litter habits.
If someone had other rabbits, especially intact females, breeding comes into play. Rabbits are known for their breeding habits and can produce a lot if they are in the mood. Most people don't want to deal with babies or even want to risk a possible pregnancy. If you want to bond, both rabbits should be altered.

That all being said, intact males can make good pets. I have 3 myself and they are great. They don't spray and are friendly, so I can live with it. Since there aren't as many health risks with intact males compared to intact females, I feel it is more the choice of the owner.

As far as housing them in individual cages, many rabbits don't get along even if spayed or neutered. I would say that keeping rabbits who don't get along together would be more irresponsible. Some rabbits are more social than others, but letting them 'play' together is not a good idea.

Okay, see, Caramel, the one I'm looking at possibly bringing in the house, is fairly clean as in his cage he doesn't even spray and tends to use only use the litter box even though he isn't neutered and is really friendly. I usually let him roam around my yard once a week or so and is great with our outdoor cats, he is literally best buds with my cat Marshclaw, I really don't know why he is like that, and I haven't thought about bonding because I'm scared to do so with previous events with one of my females who is really aggressive.

If neither are altered then do not bond them.

If he is clean enough for you then don't worry about it. I just knew that neutering would definitely help on the smell. Also my boy was very good about mostly using the box but he would still leave stray poos. Once he was neutered everything went in the box. Not all rabbits are like that but he was. If you have to show him then he can't be neutered anyways. Like everyone else said neutering just helps prevent, solve, or perfect behaviors

Just like most things in life, there are exceptions to everything! My daughter's show bunny was an exception and her current bunny is also and exception! Carrot, her show bunny was raised in the house, NEVER sprayed, and was the most meticulous litter box using bunny EVER! He rarely humped and was an awesome bunny! When retired from showing...I decided not to subject him to surgery as he was older...a decision I regret as we lost him to a testicular tumor last fall. On the other side, we have my daughter's current bunny, Cheerios. Cheerios is 9 months old...he was the sweetest, cuddliest, most friendly bunny UNTIL we had him neutered in March! He is now the "monster" bunny who puts my daughter in tears on a daily basis with his chewing and biting, and all around undesirable behaviors.

So for us, we have had both exceptions...but we have also had the typical..like mentioned in comments above....our female, Funfetti...was spazzy, difficult to pick up, difficult to litter train, and she sprayed ALL the time and EVERYWHERE!!! She was spayed in March and ever since, she is one of the sweetest, cuddliest bunnies...has NEVER sprayed again and is meticulous about using her litter box!

Having said all that, having dealt with exceptions...and given that we love bunnies and we don't show anymore, for me, the risks of not spaying and neutering are too high! So I will always have my bunnies spayed or neutered...for health and behavior.

Every one of my pets in my lifetime that could be spayed/neutered has been altered. Without exception. Unless it was a hamster(which is a single gal and always will be), hermit crab, reptile, fish, or frog (for obvious reasons, lol).

Having said that, none of my pets are/were for breeding or show so I didn't/don't need their reproductive organs.

As for the reason? Because I don't want babies. That's the simple truth. Crap happens, animals get loose, break out of cages, and a billion other things I can't think of in advance. Better safe than sorry.

Secondly, the only hormonal animal allowed in my house is me (and hubby, lol). That's about it, lol. :bunnydance:

Back