Neutering Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always a risk with any type of surgeryand also a rare chance of abdominal scars in does that may be lifethreatening.

However, the risks are very low with an experience rabbit vet, and I highly recommend spay/neuter.

How real are the health risks of non-spay/neuter? I'vehad 2 bucks this past year with testicular cancer.The incidence of uterine tumors in older does is extremelyhigh. Although not all uterine tumors are cancerous, it isone of the most common cancers in rabbits.

Spay/neuter can also have a tremendousimpact on stiflingundesirable sexual behaviors and other behaviors related to raginghormones of a sexually frustrated animal.

Pam

I've just had Flopsy spayed this morning. I wasreally stressed about doing it, especially as I'd had such trouble withmy sibling rabbits reaction to anaesthetic after they were done. Icouldn't even come on here to calm myself down because my computer wasbeing worked on to try and keep it going.

BUT despite the stress and the fact that she's not looking happy at allright now:(I'm SO glad I made that decision. Even thoughshe's only nine months old the vet said there were already cystsforming on her ovaries and it was a very good thing that she'd beenspayed now. So to me that says it all :D.

Kate

Rowan wrote:
Even though she's only nine months old the vetsaid there were already cysts forming on her ovaries and it was a verygood thing that she'd been spayed now. So to me that says it all :D.

Kate

Those ovarian cysts can cause many problems and in some cases developinto cancer -- you've made a good decision for your rabbit :)

Pam

Rowan wrote:
I'vejust had Flopsy spayed this morning. I was really stressed about doingit, especially as I'd had such trouble with my sibling rabbits reactionto anaesthetic after they were done. I couldn't even come on here tocalm myself down because my computer was being worked on to try andkeep it going.

BUT despite the stress and the fact that she's not looking happy at allright now:(I'm SO glad I made that decision. Even thoughshe's only nine months old the vet said there were already cystsforming on her ovaries and it was a very good thing that she'd beenspayed now. So to me that says it all :D.

Kate
I'm so glad to know you did this and prevented those cysts from turning to cancer.

She''ll be just fine now and be sure to give her a kiss from me :)

Latest posts

Back