Neutering my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amame

Reaction score
Hi everyone. It has been about 4 years now. I finally decided to adopt a rabbit from a neighbors daughter. They told me the bun was a girl. I made an appointment for the vet for nail trims and an exam. Found out he is a boy. I have never had a tabbut spayed or neutered and im at odds on what to do. His appointment is tomorrow at an exotic vet of course. Im filling out the paperwork online and it asks if I want an IV catheter and blood work.

What are your thoughts? He had an appointment about two weeks ago and they said he is healthy but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. My heart can't take losing another rabbit..

If you are nervous about the neuter, go ahead and get the blood work and catheter just to be on the safe side. If you are feeling pretty confident that he will do great, don't worry about it!

May I ask why you want to neuter him, are there any behavioural issues or do you plan to get a second rabbit?
Ok, a adolescent intact buck can be quite a challenge, mine became a free range house bunny when he was two already.

If my vet would ask me that question I would be straight out the door - I mean, he's supposed to know what's needed to do it safely, what I would like doesn't even come into play, considering my expertise.
I reckon things are a bit different over there, that it's part of the business model to sell extras like nachos at the cinema (not cheap), and when reading some threads here in some cases I'm not so sure that all those extras are actually beneficial.

Can't tell about that in your case, I don't even know if my girl had any of this stuff when she got spayed, vet did a good job. Sorry to not be helpful, I'm not giving advice pro or contra but leave that to those with more knowledge on the matter.

He is okay so far. Very said I made the right decision for not agreeing to either. It was a standard online form and I was just confused and worried. Than you all for repsonding.

How's your boy doing?

A rabbit-savvy DVM is essential. When I volunteered at the shelter for numerous years, IV catheter and bloodwork was not done on the multitude of surrenders each year to the shelter. Anesthesia administered as inhalant.

Our multiple household of sanctuary rabbits would not have partners to companion with, and would stink to extreme from odiferous smell of spraying hormonal males.

That being said, our DVM clinic has lost clients' guinea pigs in surgery, and our rescue Flemish Giant boy suffered cardiac arrest at the end of his neuter surgery in 2018. I requested a necropsy. His lungs had less than 1/4th normal function b/c the uneducated prior owner kept him and bro on bedding with odor control baking soda. Unless the combination of backyard breeding and ingestion of baking soda bedding caused his lungs to be deficient? Now our clinic xrays each potential surgery candidate. It is never the call you want to receive. "I'm sorry to say your boy/girl did not survive."

I always agree to CBC/BMP prior to surgery. To check for blood-clotting, kidney and liver function, hydration, et al. // Again, at the shelter doing snip surgery for hundreds of surrendered buns, plus dogs and cats, the shelter could not do the diagnostics.

Latest posts

Back