Neutering later in life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie714

Reaction score
My husband and I are having a bit of a debate over neutering our bunny. He's about 5-6 months right now, very sweet, cuddly, and hasn't been too bad with the hormones, though he does have his moments.
The vets here(Saudi Arabia) have no experience in bunnies and barely know anything about cats. No vets are really well trained, just about anyone who can get their hands on a Bachelor's degree, vet equipment, and youtube can call themselves a vet so it would be a bit scary to send him in to get neutered.
We are planning to move back to the US in about a year and Roger will be coming with us. I told my husband I want to get him the snip there. He is deadset against it. He doesn't think it's natural plus he wants to get a few babies out of him.
So I am looking for some input on people who have had to neuter later in life. Is there any risk in them getting the surgery performed later?
And if I try to compromise with him on neutering(ie, let Roger have one litter) will he get more hormonal, including after getting snipped? Of course those little ones would always have a home with us, unless we knew someone who really wanted one.

Rabbits can live for 10 years or more. Neutering him at under 2 years old really isn't a late neuter at all. :) It's a good idea to neuter him in the states, he will still be a young bunny and there should be no risk.

I find that many men are against neutering! It must be that it hits a little too close to home. Reassure your husband that bunnies don't put such pride and importance in their "manhoods" as humans do. No bunny has ever been depressed for finding out he's been fixed, in fact a big reason for fixing is that it often results in a happier, cruisier bunny. For them, testicles are nothing more than a source of constant, uncontrollable sexual frustration. In pet bunnies who aren't free to breed all day everyday, you'd be doing him a huge favor by fixing him.

As for having babies, non-show breeding is usually frowned upon, but I say if you are happy to keep all the babies then go for it. Just keep in mind bunnies can have 8 kits in a litter, a doe can be pregnant again instantly after giving birth, and everyone will have to be fixed at no small cost to be kept as a big happy family.

Actually, if you don't plan on bonding with another bun and he isn't displaying any of those pesky hormonal problems(spraying, humping, marking), you may not need to get him neutered at all. For female buns, it's encouraged to get them spayed due to the higher risk of uterine cancer. But with males reproductive cancer isn't as great a risk, so usually getting a male snipped is more a consideration when their hormonal behavior is causing problems and/or you want to bond them with another rabbit.

I have a male rabbit that can't get neutered due to health concerns, but he does fine in the house and doesn't display any of the hormonal issues so it's not a problem. If you are still interested in neutering when you get back though, it's not too late at that age. It's really more when they reach 6 yrs.(for small to med. size rabbits) that it's more of a concern and blood tests are suggested beforehand.

Latest posts

Back