Neutering... EXPENSIVE!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brearune

Reaction score
So, I just called the nearest vet listed in my state's bunny-savvy post on this forum, and was given a price for neutering (provided all goes well, so it could be more...)
they said firstly that I have to have a visit beforehand just to check him (makes sense, of course) and it would be $50...
then they told me that the neutering would cost $191 .... holy crap!!!!
is that the normal costs? I was thinking maybe $100 ish... but almost 200 for my boy to be neutered?!!? Maybe I won't do this after all :/
Should I keep trying around? How much did you guys pay? Is this really a lot or am I fighting a losing battle while trying to find lower prices?? :( I want my guy to be neutered and have all those benefits, but... I don't think I can afford to spend that much on it, at least not for a while!!

Thanks for the info, I sent an email to the RI Rabbits one, and we'll see what they can tell me... I managed to find only one place (that's somewhat far away) that said about 100... But if we can find a little cheaper that would always be welcomed, especially with the holidays fast approaching (groan)... thank you!

You're welcome! I hope they can help you. We've had people drive several hours to take advantage of our low-cost program. I'm very spoiled with getting discounted services from our vet. She usually treats my own rabbits for rescue prices.

usually females are costlier to have done. That does seem high. Best to call around. We always make sure that our vet knows that all our bunnies are rescues and because of the number we have, we have to be thrifty or do without. There is a listing of Vets here at RO and if you can get a hold of any other organizations, not just bunny rescues, ask them. SPCA, etc.

Flash Gordon wrote:
males 48.00 females 68.00
15.00 more for pain meds..
Dang....that rivals our recsue rates! Our rate doesn't include pain meds, but our vet gives us a script so we can order them in bulk (180 ml bottle).

Man, those prices are good :/ RI is always super expensive so I was expecting a lil under a hundred even though I read somewhere that some people have found cheaper for males... but 2-300 is kind of ridiculous! It's really discouraging. :(

Just heard back from the RI Rabbits one... not only were they a little rude to me (a bit condescending) but they just said those prices are normal and expected because rabbit vets are specialized and need special training that costs more. They just gave me a few other places to try calling, so I guess I'll try those and hope they're better for prices... but in the end, at least we found that one for around a hundred (and we've gone to this place for our cats before, so that familiarity is nice)

Brearune wrote:
Just heard back from the RI Rabbits one... not only were they a little rude to me (a bit condescending) but they just said those prices are normal and expected because rabbit vets are specialized and need special training that costs more. They just gave me a few other places to try calling, so I guess I'll try those and hope they're better for prices... but in the end, at least we found that one for around a hundred (and we've gone to this place for our cats before, so that familiarity is nice)

That's highly disappointing.
:/

slavetoabunny wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
males 48.00 females 68.00
15.00 more for pain meds..
Dang....that rivals our recsue rates! Our rate doesn't include pain meds, but our vet gives us a script so we can order them in bulk (180 ml bottle).
holy schmoly that is BULK...!!

Blimey that's expensive .. it cost me £60 for Luna and that includes pain meds, anti biotics and a sachet of the Science feed and a follow up appointment to make sure she was healing well.

I've just come acros the most lovely vet who, when I took Luna in yesterday for her check up, asked how Benji was getting on. I was suprised that she remembered his name after all the animals she sees.

We made about 150 for a neuter and the spay would be 230 but they prefer not to spay at the local vet. The only other vet that spays and neuters around here was over 200 for a neuter plus 50 for the check up. Our vet includes the check up in his price.

Oh, hello JadeIcing, thanks for replying... that stinks that we can't find anything better in our area, huh? :/ I guess I'll go with the 100 dollar one and be thankful I found him at all. 200 or more is just ridiculous.... and the way the rescue treated me! bah, oh well, we'll take 100 hahah

and thanks everyone for your help and feedback :) Apparently I just live in the wrong area for bunnies!! XD

Yeah, I've found better prices for cat spaying/neutering... :/ but yeah. still, it sucks. Some locations have some great prices. I found good ones for my rats back in the day, but I can't find that vet anymore, which sucks! They were one of hte only ones who didn't jack up the price ridiculously :(

That's too bad. I'm sure you'll find a good vet you can trust who isn't price gouging. Here you can get them done for low cost at the Humane Society for $100 and $200+ at the vet school hospital. I always recommend Humane Societies and rescues because they often have discounts and they know vets that are very experienced in the surgery.

When I took my cat to the vet who's asking the least (the 100 dollar one) he lowered the price when he found out we adopted our cat. He's a really nice guy. I'm giving him a shot since, firstly he's the cheapest, but also I know he does change prices if he likes you and all. :) I'm hopeful that it'll be good!

Latest posts

Back