Neutering Cost

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
Ok so I'd really like to get Ripley neutered (he's 10 mo. old now) Anyway when we were at the vet the other day, we asked for an estimate. The total was $445.00 which seemd like alot to me. I was more expecting like $250 or something around there. This did include bloodwork for before etc. though which brings the price up a good bit.

How much did you all pay to get your bunnies neutered??

P.s. sorry if there's already a thread like this, I thought I'd seen a topic like this once but now didn't know where it was. :p

We ended up paying around 375$ for our cookie's neuter.... However he had some complications and needed to be under anesthesia for more than the typical bun would during a neuter. He also required extra fluids the following day. Without all the complications we were quoted 170/220$... 445$ seems extremely high for a neuter! A spay I could understand as it's a more complicated procedure but a neuter for that much! I would shop around!

I paid $35 plus tax. It didn't include a pre-check up, which was already done at my regular vet, or pain meds. My regular charges $179. I've gotten quote from $99 to $179 before I found the $35.

Females at the same place would be $60, I think.

MagPie wrote:
I paid $35 plus tax. It didn't include a pre-check up, which was already done at my regular vet, or pain meds. My regular charges $179. I've gotten quote from $99 to $179 before I found the $35.

Wow! That's amazing!

Just under 200 that included the checkup. I had him scheduled for a clinic but couldn't wait due to his temperment change the clinic was only 65 but there was a three month wait.

$179 each for a neutering Dobby and Kreacher. Included tests and 3 day's worht of pain meds. Plus Dr. Joe completely checked their teeth and jaw for me due to being dwarf breed.

K:)

BunMommaD wrote:
MagPie wrote:

Wow! That's amazing!

Yeah :) I think it was a pretty good deal. I mean minus the precheck, but he had been the vet several times the month or two before due to a cat scratch. So once he got the ok I got him neutered. Because well his hormones are what got him scratched in the first place :rollseyes

I just got my Buster neutered last week and it cost $465 dollars. This was one of the cheaper vets in my area. The exotic vet gave me an estimate of $650, for the neuter and checkup.

It definitely helps to call around to different places in your area and ask for estimates.
You also may be able to find a SPCA or rescue that will give you a certificate for the neuter. I know they do that in certain states. They did not have this option in NY for rabbits but did have it in other states around me. I just didn't feel like driving.

Anyway, good luck with Ripley, I know I was getting tired of Buster's hormonal behavior, it has gotten better already. :D

Yes definitely check for certificates. My neuter was so low because I got it done at my local SPCA and they always have rabbits. In fact they just got a bunch because someone dumped 18 rabbits in a Rubbermaid tub in a park. :(

I had the same problem, I never thought that rabbits were more expensive the cats or dogs.

Really I can't see the cost equaling out the years that they live to(cats and dog live longer). I know that sounds hard and please everyone dont be mad.

There is my thread where we all were talking .. and I'm not getting it done

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=71945&forum_id=75

For me the price would be as follows:

Castratie konijn < 2kg
€ 61,50

Castratie konijn > 2kg
€ 66,50

Castratie konijn > 4kg
€ 74,-

+ a consult of 27.50€ :)

Guess it depends on how bad the behavior is as to whether it was worth it.Scamper was poo agressive, cage agressive, biting me, peeing and marking all over and flinging pee on my daughter every am after she was dressed for school. I was willing to pay about anything to have it done and done quickly.

I think that with a male it really does depend on what types of behavior you are willing to tolerate. Some males are holy terrors, others are sweeties. I personally spay/neuter all of my pets because my household can only stand 1 hormonal animal -me! (and I'm thinking about spaying her too!). Good luck :biggrin:

On a side note, I really would spay any female rabbit regardless of the cost because they are almost guaranteed to get uterine cancer. I had a bunny spayed a long time ago, she was 2 years old, and her uterus was already pre-cancerous. So I would have lost her quickly without the surgery. Just my $.02

Someone a number of months ago hadn't spayed her rabbit & it got cancer. Luckily surgery worked, but the owner was really upset she'd jeopardized her pet's life by not getting her spayed.

Hmmm yes Harvey was a bit of a holy terror haha. He wasn't mean or anything. He was just spraying EVERYTHING, especially the cats. In the face. Oh and mounting the cats. It wasn't pleasant for the cats haha.

Thanks for all your replies.-I appriciate it!

As far as being a 'Holy Terror' Ripley's a pretty good boy. He doesn't spray anyone or anything at all and isn't at all agressive like some bucks get to be.

Buuut, what drives me crazy is him *constantly* circling me and trying to hump my arms. :X That gets old REALLY quickly-especially when you have people over! errg.

And, I'd like to train him agility etc. and some odds and end of tricks and stuff, but he's not at all relyable or too trainable because once he goes into his like box in his brain of circling me etc. he doesn't care at all about tricks or treats.

Maybe I'll have to call around. I do totally trust both vets at our vet office and there's really something to be said for that, but $445.00 really seems excessive. At least for us to pay. I wasn't expecting bloodwork to need to be done but its listed on the estimate. I guess if that's what he thinks we need to do...

EDIT: Had to fix a typo.

In my area we were quoted around $250 for a neuter and $300 or more for a spay. Luckily there was a low cost option in our state and they did our spays for $55 per rabbit and that included pain meds for 3 days. They other nice thing about this program is that all they do is spay and nueter cats, dogs, and rabbits. So you know they have experience. My girls were spayed on Saturday and are doing well so far. I am very pleased.

Here is the link of the place I used so you might get an idea of what to look for in your area.

http://www.rascalunit.org/RascalUnit/Home_Page.html

Latest posts

Back