neutering both my dog and bunny the same day. good or bad idea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagneticLove

Reaction score
i found a place where they fix animals for cheap
my dog weights 85lbs and they were asking $200+ everywhere else but at this place they are charging me $98

i asked how much to neuter my male rabbit they said $45

so those are some pretty good prices and i will be going there to get them fixed but i am not sure if i should get them both fixed the same day because from what i have heard i have to keep a very close eye on my bun and i will have to take care of my dog too.

this place is like 30-40 min away from where i live

any suggestions? thanks!

I don't think it would be too bad to get them done the same day as long as you're going to be home with them. Neuters are fairly easy (on both species) so you hopefully won't be doing much aftercare other than keeping an eye on them.

Just make sure you ask lots of questions about the bunny neuter! That price is so cheap that it makes me wonder what you get with it (you might need to put up some more money for pain meds, etc). Just make sure the vet is experienced with bunnies and you should be good to go.

Hmm...well as long as you asked them questions and everything and made sure that they are a good vet for both rabbits and dogs, I wouldn't see too much of a problem with getting them both done on the same day.

I got my dog neutered 6 months ago and it was very uneventful. I didn't really have to take care of him any differently than I normally do, I just had to keep his cone on to make sure he didn't lick his stitches. But he was eating and drinking and acting normal right when he got home from his surgery.

All the rabbits I have came to me already fixed, so I didn't have to deal with their post surgery care. I'm sure someone with more experience will respond about that. Generally the biggest things I think are making sure they eat and making sure they don't bother their incisions.

But in general, animals seem to handle neuters pretty well.

I would want to talk with other clients of this vet/
Why are the prices so low. ?

Do they neuter a lot of rabbits. Do they lose any. ? Do they use the appropriate anesthesia (sevoflorane or isoflorane for rabbits ) Do theyuse gasor injectable anesthesia ?Do they use stitches orglue to close the incisions. Do they perform laser surgery.?

What kind of pain meds are provided ?

Iwould find out more about the clinic before I would alter either the dog or the bun/
and I personally would not do both at once only becauseI would not want that much stress at once.

An experienced vet can easily do a neuter which is less invasive than a spay but even then you need to know that the vet is knowledgeable.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

Elrohwen this place was suggested to me by a rabbit rescue that i am interested in adopting from to bond my bun with a girlie bun
i talked to the lady and she told me about this place and that this is where she fixes all of her rescue buns so i feel like its a good place to go

but just to be safe though what should i ask the vet like pain meds and such

If a rescue suggested it and the vet does a lot of rabbits they should be fine...
still is good to ask questions but if a rabbit rescue uses them they do a lot of rabbits.

If a rescue suggested them then it sounds like they're very comfortable with rabbits and you can be comfortable with them. I would just ask if there are any other costs that aren't covered by the fee they told you. For example, you might need to pay an extra $20 for pain meds, or blood work, or whatever. You just want to know exactly how much you'll be paying when you walk out and that $45 is so low I imagine there might be other fees.

I had my bun neutered and there wasn't any aftercare really. I kept an eye on him, made sure he was eating, and he was fine. And I've had dogs neutered with no issues too. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on the same day.

Lily just got spayed so the spaying/neutering info is fresh in my mind. Since the cost is so low it probably doesn't include the cost of the anesthesia and the pain meds. Lily's spay cost $175 which is fairly normal around here and included the blood work, anesthesia, pain medication, and molar grinding if she needed it.

I don't know if it is different for boys, but you want the vet to use a gas anesthesia (Isoflurane is good) and internal dissolvable stitches with external surgical glue. It's almost impossible for rabbits to tear out surgical glue so it's the best option for suturing a clean incision. Since rabbits have to eat their cecetrops putting an e-collar on them is not the best idea if you can avoid it.

My vet prescribed Metacam (0.4 CCs per day since it's a time release formula) but it wasn't enough the first night. I ended up calling the rescue I got her from and Lily's foster mom was kind enough to give me one dose of a stronger pain med that she had left over from another boy's neutering (we called the vet and cleared it first) and that was enough to get her through the first night. The metacam seemd to do the trick after that.

Latest posts

Back